News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16- Page 3

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16

neonlightsxo
#50Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/19/16 at 4:02pm

Who are you arguing with? Nobody said that.

Sammytravels
#51Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/19/16 at 4:38pm

How much is Something Rotten's weekly cost? And gave they recouped yet?

neonlightsxo
#52Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/19/16 at 4:40pm

No, they haven't recouped. Don't know the cost.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#53Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/19/16 at 4:52pm

neonlightsxo said: "Who are you arguing with? Nobody said that."

actually, nycgogetter suggested that possibility at 1:54PM  but his/her knowledge seems suspect anyway based on other things s/he has said in this thread alone.

Markie27 Profile Photo
Markie27
#54Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/19/16 at 9:50pm

So am I correct in saying that of all of the musicals, original or revival, released for the past two seasons only FUN HOME and (presumably, although I think no formal announcement have been made yet) HAMILTON have recouped?!?!?   

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#55Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/19/16 at 9:58pm

Waitress might be close to recouping. It's had pretty stable grosses. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Daddy Warbucks Profile Photo
Daddy Warbucks
#56Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/19/16 at 10:08pm

Fun Home recouped, but not a huge profit.  Waitress is not close to recouping yet, but it is certainly on track to outperform Fun Home both on Broadway and through tours and subsequent productions.  Something Rotten was a disaster for investors.  I'm sure some fat cat in the back office is making tons of dough when the show does 500 performances and only gives pennies back to the investors. I'm staying far away from the folks behind that one (who shall be unnamed) next time around.

If anyone else is an investor here, PM me. I'd be happy to network. I've invested in a lot of shows. 

Harrisonmlewis Profile Photo
Harrisonmlewis
#57Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/19/16 at 11:38pm

I think On Your Feet, Kinky Boots, Something Rotten, Paramour, and Jersey Boys could all easily close by the end of the season.

krmbdwy Profile Photo
krmbdwy
#58Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/19/16 at 11:42pm

Harrisonmlewis said: "I think On Your Feet, Kinky Boots, Something Rotten, Paramour, and Jersey Boys could all easily close by the end of the season.

"Jersey Boys isn't going anywhere"!!

"

Harrisonmlewis Profile Photo
Harrisonmlewis
#59Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/20/16 at 12:12am

@krmbdway Why though? Shows have to close eventually, and even though I personally love it, it can't stay open forever with these grosses.

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#60Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/20/16 at 1:13am

Call_me_jorge said: "Waitress might be close to recouping. It's had pretty stable grosses. 

Waitress can't be anywhere close to recouping, if the totals on this site are right it's grossed around $16M to date - if its weekly nutt is $600k it could have a profit of $5M racked up but that's being generous. It had to cost $12 to $15M to put up so it has at least $10M in profit to go and at $300k in profit a week it'll take another 30 weeks at $1M grosses.

Similarly Something Rotten and American In Paris started out strong with $1M grosses but couldn't sustain it to recoup. The shows that gross $1.3 to $1.5 a week early in their runs like Kinky Boots recoup quickly. $1M grosses drags it out and for every week under $1M - even longer if ever. 

Up In One
Updated On: 7/20/16 at 01:13 AM

neonlightsxo
#61Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/20/16 at 9:05am

Something Rotten did well in the beginning of its run but has tapered off. How is that a disaster?

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#62Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/20/16 at 10:23am

Up In One said: "Call_me_jorge said: "Waitress might be close to recouping. It's had pretty stable grosses.  

Waitress can't be anywhere close to recouping, if the totals on this site are right it's grossed around $16M to date - if its weekly nutt is $600k it could have a profit of $5M racked up but that's being generous. It had to cost $12 to $15M to put up so it has at least $10M in profit to go and at $300k in profit a week it'll take another 30 weeks at $1M grosses.

Similarly Something Rotten and American In Paris started out strong with $1M grosses but couldn't sustain it to recoup. The shows that gross $1.3 to $1.5 a week early in their runs like Kinky Boots recoup quickly. $1M grosses drags it out and for every week under $1M - even longer if ever. 
"

It is meaningless to make a statement based on how much the grosses are for a show in isolation.  Also, it's worth looking at the recoupment arc of past successes before prognosticating.

Daddy Warbucks Profile Photo
Daddy Warbucks
#63Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/20/16 at 8:00pm

neonlightsxo said: "Something Rotten did well in the beginning of its run but has tapered off. How is that a disaster?

"

Ask someone who invested in the show. Not a disaster for the audiences members, but a disaster for investors. 

Markie27 Profile Photo
Markie27
#64Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/20/16 at 8:26pm

I'm just amazed (and a little disappointed) that for last season only one musical has recouped.  I don't think finding Neverland, an American in Paris and Something rotten! would be able to turn things around and break even when they close this coming months.   

This season I agree that Waitress would be the next one to announce recoupment.  School of Rock is also looking like it will get there.  And as long as they can still have Cynthia Erivo headline for maybe another year I think The Color Purple would be able to join the in-the-black list. 

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#65Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/21/16 at 12:33am

HogansHero said: "Up In One said: "Call_me_jorge said: "Waitress might be close to recouping. It's had pretty stable grosses.  

"

It is meaningless to make a statement based on how much the grosses are for a show in isolation.  Also, it's worth looking at the recoupment arc of past successes before prognosticating.

I am looking at past successes arc's when I say if Waitress stay's in the $1M range it will take them at least 30 more weeks and I don't see that happening. Quick recouping shows of its size did     larger numbers for lengthier periods of time and recouped quickly. Staying around the $1M mark means needing a longer run to recoup and not many shows have been able to sustain that historically. 

Up In One

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#66Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/21/16 at 1:07am

Can't imagine Color Purple costs a lot.

OrchardAndRivington Profile Photo
OrchardAndRivington
#67Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/21/16 at 1:10am

They can always downgrade theatres, which would probably require abandoning the Jujamcyn's for a Nederlander or Shubert House. I can't imagine the Jujamcyn organization has any interest in tying up their only semi-available intimate venue, The Walter Kerr with a downsized Jersey Boys, and their only other intimate house, the Eugene O'Neil, has Book of Mormon locked up for years. 

The August Wilson at 1228 seats and the Al Hirschfeld at 1424 can make far more for the Jujamcyn organization with a new hit than 10 year old Jersey Boys and a Kinky Boots which, barring a new celebrity Lola, could very easily have a veeeeeery slow fall. 

Jersey Boys has been an extremely successful franchise for EVERYONE involved, and with the Dodgers producing the incoming A Bronx Tale, do they want to have that internal competition for the consumer market? Matilda and Jersey Boys are polar opposites so they pull from both ends of the consumer base. They may want to focus on making A Bronx Tale a new established hit, instead of trying to keep the aging Jersey Boys flagship production afloat. 47% of potential gross isn't good for any show, let alone one that should be packing them in during the summer tourist season, low weekly nut, or not.

10 years is an amazing run. Announce now, bring back as many of the originals as are interested/avail and go out strong instead of limping to a sad end after grosses plummet some more...

Updated On: 7/21/16 at 01:10 AM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#68Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/21/16 at 1:30am

Up In One said: "I am looking at past successes arc's when I say if Waitress stay's in the $1M range it will take them at least 30 more weeks and I don't see that happening." 

well that is not analysis, it's just old fashioned guessing. Guessing is great, but it's guessing. I don't know what shows you are looking at, but I know which ones you are overlooking. 

blm2323
#70Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/21/16 at 4:50am

PThespian didn't say that :) He said the only other intimate house the Jujamcyn  operates is already tied up with BOM. He can't imagine them transferring Jersey Boys to the Kerr. 

neonlightsxo
#71Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/21/16 at 9:11am

Daddy Warbucks said: "neonlightsxo said: "Something Rotten did well in the beginning of its run but has tapered off. How is that a disaster?"

Ask someone who invested in the show. Not a disaster for the audiences members, but a disaster for investors. 
"

You're still not understanding. An investor NOT making their money back on a Broadway show is NOT a "disaster", it's the common occurrence. And anyone who invests in Broadway shows should know that, and not call it a disaster. It's unfortunate, sure, but not a disaster.

Updated On: 7/21/16 at 09:11 AM

perfectliar
#73Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/21/16 at 9:42am

Markie27 said: "I'm just amazed (and a little disappointed) that for last season only one musical has recouped.  I don't think finding Neverland, an American in Paris and Something rotten! would be able to turn things around and break even when they close this coming months."

2014-2015 was a bad year for musicals recouping, for sure. But that season had a huge number of plays recoup: I counted eight, compared to none at all this most recent season (though I suppose there's still hope for The Humans). So it's all in how you look at it, I guess; last season had more successful plays, this season will end up with more successful musicals.

Sammytravels
#74Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/21/16 at 11:57am

So without sounding ignorant and dumb, can someone tell me I'm right in thinking this is how recouping actually works?

If a show costs $10 Million to get off the ground, has a weekly cost of $700k a week, ans is roughly bringing in $1 Million a week, would the following actually be about right?

if you take out the running costs, that leaves $300k a week, which to recoup the £10 Million, would take 33 weeks. Only after that, they would make a profit for investors?

These figures are just off the top of my head, but trying to understand how it works! 

Updated On: 7/21/16 at 11:57 AM

Liza's Headband
#75Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/21/16 at 12:27pm

Sure, although it can be a bit more complicated than that depending on contractual arrangements and other information the public isn't privy to; especially if someone (or something) is being given a percentage/cut of the net profit. In that case, the percentage/cut wouldn't be factored into the weekly running costs but would obviously reduce the profits that can be returned to investors. That only further delays a possible recoupment. Most are a percentage/cut of the gross box office receipts, such as royalties pools, but there are exceptions to this. HAMILTON comes to mind almost immediately. 

Edited for clarity: when I refer to "profit," I'm speaking to the production's funds leftover after all weekly expenses have been paid -- not an individual investor's "profit" or ROI (return on investment). The capitalization costs would have to be paid back with those profits/funds first. That is a recoupment. Beyond the recoupment, everything is purely profit for the production and its associated investors. 

Updated On: 7/21/16 at 12:27 PM

buhbuhbilly Profile Photo
buhbuhbilly
#76Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/21/16 at 12:31pm

for shows that close and do not recoup, I would be curious to know by how much they miss their marks. 

Videos