News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16- Page 2

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/18/16 at 7:58pm

Motown's numbers make you wonder if it will even last the 20 weeks considering critics are going to once again rip the production to shreds.

krmbdwy Profile Photo
krmbdwy
#26Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/18/16 at 8:03pm

jdshatz2 said: "Isn't JERSEY BOYS due to pack it in?  There must be more than a few shows who could use that real estate.

"no it's going anywhere

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#27Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/18/16 at 8:28pm

bdn223 said: "Motown's numbers make you wonder if it will even last the 20 weeks considering critics are going to once again rip the production to shreds.

"

It already "opened" no critics are going

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

skies Profile Photo
skies
#28Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/18/16 at 8:45pm

Has "AAIP" recouped their costs yet?  Or "Somehting Rotten"?

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren

broadwayguy91
#29Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/18/16 at 9:39pm

I wonder what's the weekly running costs for Waitress?

FiddleMeThis
#30Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/18/16 at 10:15pm

AAIP has NOT recouped- in closing notice, producers claimed they would likely recoup before closing but that is clearly impossible. How they are financing both a tour and a London production is beyond me. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#31Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/18/16 at 10:48pm

After Eight said: "Says me.... "

But After Eight, you are just a posturing troll...

Call_me_jorge
#32Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/18/16 at 10:50pm

FiddleMeThis said: "AAIP has NOT recouped- in closing notice, producers claimed they would likely recoup before closing but that is clearly impossible. How they are financing both a tour and a London production is beyond me. 

"

Could they be hoping the tour will help them recoup?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#33Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/18/16 at 10:57pm

Very impressed with THE COLOR PURPLE!!! Erivo's become the new Broadway star/

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

@z5
#34Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/18/16 at 11:01pm

time for Jersey Boys to announce closing on 1/1/2017.

KathyNYC2
#35Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/18/16 at 11:36pm

a-mad said:
I'm still confused (and bummed out) that Matilda is closing while Kinky Boots is still open... I know that Matilda does much better business in summer and holidays, but the two are quite comparable in the off-season.  Is Matilda that much more expensive to run?
"
I believe it's twice as expensive to run..  

Do we still need to pit KB vs Matilda? Enough already...they've both had lovely runs.

"

I don't think it's necessarily intentional... the two opened opposite each other amid huge critical acclaim and the tug-of-war for Tony success that resulted (and, to be honest, was accelerated by all of us) will result in the two of them being associated with each other for a long, long time.  Yes, I agree that we can view them both as successful productions... but if you're a big fan of one over the other, there is nothing wrong with proclaiming your love for that production and desire for it to succeed.  I certainly don't disparage those who feel that KB is the better musical... same way as I don't harbor ill will towards those that view Lion King as a better musical than Ragtime... (that one is a tougher pill to swallow...)

"

It's intentional. Look, I have nothing but praise for someone to hope their favorite shows succeed. I personally have seen KB about 8-9 times but have seen Matilda more times than I can count ..and tickets to go again..including the final performance). I am sadder than anyone that Matilda is closing. Period. Being upset about another show's "success" is just sour grapes to me. JMHO.

I would have to agree that Ragtime deserved to win but I too do not harbor ill will towards those who view Lion King to be better. I wish I could say the same about the Matilda = Kinky Boots argument. I just don't see it.

Happy to see that so many shows had an increase this week - especially since last week was so dismal.

That's all..

KathyNYC2
#36Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/18/16 at 11:36pm

oops..double post.

Updated On: 7/19/16 at 11:36 PM

krmbdwy Profile Photo
krmbdwy
#37Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/19/16 at 12:05am

@z5 said: "time for Jersey Boys to announce closing on 1/1/2017.

it isn't going anywhere, you're wrong!sad

"

neonlightsxo
#38Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/19/16 at 9:14am

What is the weekly running cost for American in Paris, out of curiosity?

10086sunset
#39Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/19/16 at 9:21am

Curious to see if Cats can keep this up...Rather impressive start...

perfectliar
#40Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/19/16 at 10:36am

@z5 said: "time for Jersey Boys to announce closing on 1/1/2017."

I highly doubt it's going anywhere. Its operating costs are low for a musical (between $400,000-500,000/week according to producers in an LA Times article from June 2014), and it recouped over 10 years ago, so it's been running at or right around a profit almost every single week for a decade.

Call_me_jorge
#41Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/19/16 at 10:39am

neonlightsxo said: "What is the weekly running cost for American in Paris, out of curiosity?

"

Over what it is making right now. So I'd say 700,000

Liza's Headband
#42Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/19/16 at 12:00pm

^ Where do you even get that number from?

neonlightsxo
#43Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/19/16 at 12:02pm

I didn't realize I should have specified: can someone with actual information let me know what the weekly running cost of American in Paris is

FiddleMeThis
#44Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/19/16 at 1:41pm

I believe the above poster is correct- in the 700K range. No less. 

nycgogetter
#45Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/19/16 at 1:54pm

Weekly operating costs / nut are not set in stone, and are always in flux - depending on payroll, advertising, royalties, etc..  Its a number kept by the producer, and although numbers sometimes get published in the press - I find that those numbers are not always the truth.  

That being said, I would not find it surprising that American in Paris has a range of 575 - 675,000 a week.

neonlightsxo
#46Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/19/16 at 1:57pm

All of you are just guessing, which is not what I asked.

Call_me_jorge
#47Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/19/16 at 2:16pm

neonlightsxo said: "All of you are just guessing, which is not what I asked.

"

Well, if nycgogetter is correct no one on here knows that answer. Unless one of the producers are snooping around. Hey! Stuart Oken,  Van Kaplan,  Roy Furman,  Stephanie P. McClelland,  Darren Bagert,  Carole L. Haber,  James L. Nederlander,  Five Cent Productions,  Michael Leavitt,  Apples and Oranges Studios/Dominion Pictures,  Roger Berlind/Arch RoadSimone Genatt Haft/Marc Routh,  Triptyk Studios/Spencer Ross,  Ed Walson/Peter May,  Adam Zotovich/Celia Atkin,  Eugene Beard/Julie Boardman/Kallish-Weinstein,  Stuart Ditsky/Jim Herbert/Sandy Robertson,  Suzanne Friedman/Independent Presenters Network/Wonderful Productions,  The Leonore S. Gershwin 1987 Trust/Jenkins-Taylor/Proctors,  Harriet Newman Leve/Jane Dubin/Sarahbeth Grossman and  Caiola Productions/Jennifer Isaacson/Raise the Curtain; Produced by special arrangement with Elephant Eye Theatrical & Pittsburgh CLO and  Théâtre du Châtelet; Associate Producer:  Gloria Gracia Alanis,  Amuse Inc.,  Lun-Yun Chang and  Ivy Zhong/Sean Hsu what's the average weekly operating costs for An American in Paris???

neonlightsxo
#48Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/19/16 at 2:23pm

Really, you couldn't take the hyperlinks out?

nycgogetter posted in another thread that Frozen was taking the New Amsterdam because Disney always uses Nederlander theaters, so be careful who you listen to.

Regardless, there are certain people on this board who are actually in the business and in the know, which is why I asked.

FiddleMeThis
#49Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/17/16
Posted: 7/19/16 at 3:31pm

There is no big musical operating on Broadway for under 600K a week. That is INSANELY low. 

Videos