News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/27/16

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/27/16

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/27/16
Posted: 3/28/16 at 3:07pm

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/27/16 Click below to access all the grosses from all the shows for the week ending 3/27/2016 in BroadwayWorld.com's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance was: AN AMERICAN IN PARIS (12.6%), CHICAGO (12.3%), THE KING AND I (11.2%), BRIGHT STAR (8.7%), SCHOOL OF ROCK (8.5%), JERSEY BOYS (8.3%), THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (7.9%), SOMETHING ROTTEN! (7.8%), THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHT-TIME (7.6%), KINKY BOOTS (7.4%), HUGHIE (5.9%), ON YOUR FEET! (5.4%), MATILDA (3.7%), LES MISÉRABLES (3.5%), THE COLOR PURPLE (2.7%), SHUFFLE ALONG, OR, THE MAKING OF THE MUSICAL SENSATION OF 1921 AND ALL THAT (2.0%), FIDDLER ON THE ROOF (1.5%), FUN HOME (1.1%), THE CRUCIBLE (0.6%), DISASTER! (0.5%), BEAUTIFUL (0.5%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (0.1%),

Down for the week by attendance was: ECLIPSED (-19.6%), BLACKBIRD (-2.4%), FINDING NEVERLAND (-1.1%), WICKED (-1.1%), ALADDIN (-0.1%), THE LION KING (-0.1%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/27/16
Posted: 3/28/16 at 3:11pm

Happy to see Something Rotten hit $1 million again.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/27/16
Posted: 3/28/16 at 3:13pm

Encouraging early numbers for Psycho and Shufle in their few performances last week. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/27/16
Posted: 3/28/16 at 3:14pm

This seemed to be a great week for everyone. Spring Break tourists I guess

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/27/16
Posted: 3/28/16 at 3:22pm

Comparatively, not a bad week for Disaster!; objectively, however, this can't be a financially sustainable production.

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/27/16
Posted: 3/28/16 at 3:23pm

Glad to see Bright Star played at 95% capacity this week! They aren't making a lot of money atm, it's encouraging. The more people see it, the more people will hopefully talk it up to other people and they can raise the prices/comp less than they do now. Fingers crossed, I loved that show!

neonlightsxo
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/27/16
Posted: 3/28/16 at 3:23pm

Eclipsed doesn't seem to be catching on.

Sunny11
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/27/16
Posted: 3/28/16 at 3:27pm

So much for the predicting the imminent demise of Finding Neverland . This million dollar week alone probably made up for those couple of leaner weeks in February. 

a-mad
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/27/16
Posted: 3/28/16 at 3:28pm

Wow... impressive number for Waitress with just 3 preview performances...

This thing is going to have some really nice momentum going into opening - hopefully that translates into some Tony nom's for Jessie, Sara, etc.

Alex10
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/27/16
Posted: 3/28/16 at 3:32pm

What a great week! So good to see so many shows above $1 million.

Waitress did really, really well for just a weekend of performances. American Psycho look to be starting strong too. Very exciting.

What happened with Eclipsed? That seems like a pretty sharp drop, especially in a week where almost every other show seemed to do better just by the sheer power of spring break. Did they miss a performance or something?

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/27/16
Posted: 3/28/16 at 3:33pm

neonlightsxo said: "Eclipsed doesn't seem to be catching on.

I was wondering how big of a draw Lupita Nyong'o would be and I guess she's not a very big one. I'm not surprised; I don't think she's a house-hold name, regardless of her Oscar win.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/27/16
Posted: 3/28/16 at 3:35pm

Alex10 said: "What happened with Eclipsed? That seems like a pretty sharp drop, especially in a week where almost every other show seemed to do better just by the sheer power of spring break. Did they miss a performance or something?"

I was a little surprised by this too. But I will say that the theatre district was crawling with spring breakers (lots of teenagers on class trips, families, college kids) which certainly attributed to the boost overall. Of all the musicals and plays, I think Eclipsed would likely be low on their list, putting it in a comparably lower position. Though in general almost 20% is big drop off for one week.

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

Stew123
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/27/16
Posted: 3/28/16 at 3:36pm

Waitress is very impressive given the average ticket price of $130!

neonlightsxo
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/27/16
Posted: 3/28/16 at 3:38pm

little_sally said: "neonlightsxo said: "Eclipsed doesn't seem to be catching on.

I was wondering how big of a draw Lupita Nyong'o would be and I guess she's not a very big one. I'm not surprised; I don't think she's a house-hold name, regardless of her Oscar win."

Not to mention she's only doing 7 shows per week.

nasty_khakis
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/27/16
Posted: 3/28/16 at 3:38pm

Stew123 said: "Waitress is very impressive given the average ticket price of $130!"

Well, when you don't offer rush or discounts...lol

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/27/16
Posted: 3/28/16 at 3:44pm

nasty_khakis said: "Well, when you don't offer rush or discounts...lol"

There have been discounts available for a while now. Though it does seem like much of this opening weekend sold far in advance, even before the discounts came out.

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

woeisme3
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/27/16
Posted: 3/28/16 at 3:52pm

American Psycho and Waitress are both starting really well

Daddy Warbucks Profile Photo
Daddy Warbucks
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/27/16
Posted: 3/28/16 at 4:08pm

A good week for Broadway.  A great week for Waitress!  

Sunny11
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/27/16
Posted: 3/28/16 at 4:14pm

There are only 4 new shows left to open this season right, 2 musicals and 2 plays ? Tuck Everlasting opening this week. 

neonlightsxo
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/27/16
Posted: 3/28/16 at 4:19pm

By open, you mean begin previews? Because lots of stuff has yet to open.

Sunny11
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/27/16
Posted: 3/28/16 at 4:25pm

Sorry yes I meant begin previews. But, I mean,  in terms of following grosses in practice the beginning of previews is the opening since the accounting is identical to when the show has officially opened. Either they are paying the bills or not. 

10086sunset
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/27/16
Posted: 3/28/16 at 4:26pm

Happy to see the nice start for Psycho. 

Blackbird's numbers continue to seem disappointing. Anyone have any thoughts why? Is it the subject matter?

Phantom4ever
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/27/16
Posted: 3/28/16 at 4:35pm

So after 28 years, Phantom is still in 6th place for the week in grosses, right below BOM. And right below School of Rock (somewhere ALW is laughing). Quite an achievement. I know it may fall from 6th place when the tourists leave, but it still made it there. 

neonlightsxo
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/27/16
Posted: 3/28/16 at 4:45pm

10086sunset said: "Happy to see the nice start for Psycho. 

Blackbird's numbers continue to seem disappointing. Anyone have any thoughts why? Is it the subject matter?
"

No, I don't think it's the subject matter. The subject matter is not clear from the marketing. I just think Jeff Daniels & Michelle Williams aren't big box office stars, as wonderful as they may be.

DeeKDee
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/27/16
Posted: 3/28/16 at 4:48pm

Good to see She Loves Me maintaining last week's attendance at 97%, even with some discounting.

Videos