News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Breaking News: Craig Bierko and Jill Paice to Join MATILDA on September 3

Breaking News: Craig Bierko and Jill Paice to Join MATILDA on September 3

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#2Breaking News: Craig Bierko and Jill Paice to Join MATILDA on September 3
Posted: 8/1/13 at 11:32am

Holy cow...I did NOT see that coming.
This seems like inspired casting...

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#2Breaking News: Craig Bierko and Jill Paice to Join MATILDA on September 3
Posted: 8/1/13 at 11:33am

Phone rings, door chimes, in comes a couple from Company!

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#3Breaking News: Craig Bierko and Jill Paice to Join MATILDA on September 3
Posted: 8/1/13 at 11:35am

Craig Bierko is a really interesting, off-beat idea. I'm excited to see what he does with Trunchbull.

I'm less excited about Jill Paice, who I continuously find to be the most boring, charmless, uninspired performer. She's well suited to Miss Honey in terms of type, but there are so many other people who could have made the role so much more interesting.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 8/1/13 at 11:35 AM

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#4Breaking News: Craig Bierko and Jill Paice to Join MATILDA on September 3
Posted: 8/1/13 at 11:41am

Left field for sure...

I'm surprised what short contracts Bertie and Lauren had.

N2N Nate. Profile Photo
N2N Nate.
#5Breaking News: Craig Bierko and Jill Paice to Join MATILDA on September 3
Posted: 8/1/13 at 11:44am

Why Do they have such short contracts? Is it because they already did it in London?

So Lauren Bacall me, anything goes! *wink*
Updated On: 8/1/13 at 11:44 AM

PlayItAgain
#6Breaking News: Craig Bierko and Jill Paice to Join MATILDA on September 3
Posted: 8/1/13 at 11:50am

has something to do with the equity exchange right?

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#7Breaking News: Craig Bierko and Jill Paice to Join MATILDA on September 3
Posted: 8/1/13 at 11:51am

This is totally unexpected but awesome. I'm particularly curious about Bierko as Trunchbull, I'm excited to see what he does with it.

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#8Breaking News: Craig Bierko and Jill Paice to Join MATILDA on September 3
Posted: 8/1/13 at 11:52am

Jill seems a no-brainer, but Craig... wow. I think I need to find a way to return just to see this.

::bust a move::

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#9Breaking News: Craig Bierko and Jill Paice to Join MATILDA on September 3
Posted: 8/1/13 at 11:56am

Now this sounds promising!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#10Breaking News: Craig Bierko and Jill Paice to Join MATILDA on September 3
Posted: 8/1/13 at 12:06pm

I doubt its public exactly why their contracts were so short, but widely known. Possible reasons:

They wanted short contracts since they'd already done the show for a year (maybe more) in London.

They wanted short contracts because they didn't want to be away from home for an extended time.

Equity would only give them permission for a short contract.

I don't think any choices would make me want to see the show again, but what an interesting choice in Bierko. Hm.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

RockStarNYC
#11Breaking News: Craig Bierko and Jill Paice to Join MATILDA on September 3
Posted: 8/1/13 at 12:11pm

Bierko and Paice really are intriguing choices. It should also be noted that Richard Blake (Wicked, Wedding Singer, Legally Blonde)has joined the show as the Escapologist, replacing an injured Ben Thompson.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#12Breaking News: Craig Bierko and Jill Paice to Join MATILDA on September 3
Posted: 8/1/13 at 12:16pm

I know Lauren Ward mentioned in an interview somewhere about the kids having to go back to school in the fall. (Rachel Griffiths had the same reason for departing OTHER DESERT CITIES a while back).

Richard H. Blake? YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. This has now crept it's way up my list!

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

perfectlymarvelous
#13Breaking News: Craig Bierko and Jill Paice to Join MATILDA on September 3
Posted: 8/1/13 at 12:19pm

re: the Equity exchange, isn't Lauren Ward a member of American Equity anyway? That might hold true for Bertie but she has several Broadway credits from about 10-15 years ago.

Phillytheatreguy10 Profile Photo
Phillytheatreguy10
#14Breaking News: Craig Bierko and Jill Paice to Join MATILDA on September 3
Posted: 8/1/13 at 12:29pm

I think Jill Paice is a great choice, Bierko is also inspired! I disagree with the poster that finds Paice boring- she really was fantastic in that Company concert as I was unfamilar with her work prior to that- she was a stand out for sure! Erin Mackey for me continues to be the most boring soprano on the boards these day! Kudos to the producers they seem not to have missed a beat with this!

Updated On: 8/1/13 at 12:29 PM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#15Breaking News: Craig Bierko and Jill Paice to Join MATILDA on September 3
Posted: 8/1/13 at 12:34pm

Somethingwicked, I'm usually on the same camp re Paice, but she was lovely in CURTAINS, maybe in part because it was almost impossible not to have chemistry with David Hyde Pierce. Was Erin Davie unavailable?
Bierko was one of the few things that made the most recent GUYS & DOLLS revival watchable (and he had to try hard since the production was so dreadful). I agree it's inspired casting, would love to see him in the role.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#16Breaking News: Craig Bierko and Jill Paice to Join MATILDA on September 3
Posted: 8/1/13 at 1:18pm

Have seen neither actor before, but the role of Trunchbull is one I wish I was able to see each actor who steps into the role play the part – I imagine it being a role that each actor is able to approach quite differently and would love to see the different interpretations.

Also to note, I saw Richard H. Blake this past weekend (on his second day, I believe) as The Escapologist and very much enjoyed his performance. A nice departure from the bad-boy boyfriend roles I have seen him in prior. His voice was lovely.

WOSQ
#17Breaking News: Craig Bierko and Jill Paice to Join MATILDA on September 3
Posted: 8/1/13 at 1:30pm

I have a retro-reaction. Why can't a biological woman play Trunchbull?

I believe she is female.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#18Breaking News: Craig Bierko and Jill Paice to Join MATILDA on September 3
Posted: 8/1/13 at 1:32pm

I wonder if Bertie would have stayed longer if he won the TONY?

Musicaldudepeter
#19Breaking News: Craig Bierko and Jill Paice to Join MATILDA on September 3
Posted: 8/1/13 at 1:35pm

I'm sure both Carvel and Ward are bored to f*ck with their roles and the show at this stage having been involved from the get go... I'm sure they want to move on to other projects no matter how good the material is or how much they love the show (or being employed)

broadway_show_fan Profile Photo
broadway_show_fan
#20Breaking News: Craig Bierko and Jill Paice to Join MATILDA on September 3
Posted: 8/1/13 at 1:35pm

Lauren is indeed American (from the midwest) and part of American Equity. She is leaving because her children are going back to London to return for the school year.

She mentioned to me that she and Bertie are interested in moving on to new creative endeavors (besides just wanting to go home). They've been playing these parts since Stratford in 2010. I think you could understand the idea of moving on after so long.

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#21Breaking News: Craig Bierko and Jill Paice to Join MATILDA on September 3
Posted: 8/1/13 at 1:53pm

Interesting point, WOSQ. While I do find Bierko to be inspired casting, I would LOVE to see what a biological woman would do with the role.

perfectlymarvelous
#22Breaking News: Craig Bierko and Jill Paice to Join MATILDA on September 3
Posted: 8/1/13 at 2:11pm

If I recall, when they were holding the required EPAs for the show, the breakdown did actually say they were seeing both men and women for Trunchbull. However, I also remember it saying they wanted someone at least 6 feet tall, and there just aren't many women who are that height. I would love to see a biological woman as Miss Trunchbull as well though.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#23Breaking News: Craig Bierko and Jill Paice to Join MATILDA on September 3
Posted: 8/1/13 at 2:11pm

You know who might be a good Trunchbull and is around that height? Janet McTeer.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#24Breaking News: Craig Bierko and Jill Paice to Join MATILDA on September 3
Posted: 8/1/13 at 2:13pm

I'm sure both Carvel and Ward are bored to f*ck with their roles and the show at this stage having been involved from the get go... I'm sure they want to move on to other projects no matter how good the material is or how much they love the show (or being employed)

My thoughts exactly. Depending on it, if I played a certain role on Broadway for year and did it again in London or the other way around, I'd stay for the same time as Bertie and Lauren. Besides, these 2, esepecially Bertie, have huge futures ahead of them. And it's wonderful that Lauren is putting family first. Actors should be more like her.

Videos