News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Billy Stritch and the Girls at Birdland 7/29

Billy Stritch and the Girls at Birdland 7/29

jaimiecheno Profile Photo
jaimiecheno
#1Billy Stritch and the Girls at Birdland 7/29
Posted: 7/25/07 at 12:12am

Now that we're getting closer...anyone else attending this after the closing of Grey Gardens?

I got a ticket already for this, but I'm still nervous Christine might not be performing. Thats a lot in one day.

Anyways...anyone else going?

Subtle...but sassy! www.the8thavenueobserver.com

My Sobriquet Profile Photo
My Sobriquet
#2re: Billy Stritch and the Girls at Birdland 7/29
Posted: 7/25/07 at 1:01am

I am. I've got my tickets for both the GG closing and "The Girls" afterward. I was flying in for the weekend from Chicago for the closing and when I heard about the Birdland event, I extended my stay by one night.

I did call the Birdland and talked with someone named Megan last week. She spoke with the man who books the Broadway-type shows there, and the only singer he could confirm was Christine Ebersole. I'm with you, though. I'll believe it when I hear her. That really does seem like a lot in one day.

Anyway, someone on 'talkinbroadway' reported that she will only be singing two songs. Who knows? Here's a link if you want to check that out:

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/allthatchat/d.php?id=1437609

Miss.Vanessi
#2re: Billy Stritch and the Girls at Birdland 7/29
Posted: 7/25/07 at 1:09am

I'm going to Birdland afterward. I've assumed she'd only do a couple of songs since it's not really billed as a "Billy & Christine" show.

It's like writing "Norma Shearer for the win!" in a Joan Crawford biography.

katie22
#3re: Billy Stritch and the Girls at Birdland 7/29
Posted: 7/25/07 at 9:53am

She is only singing two songs. And although she will be exhausted, adrenaline totally will be flowing and will get her through.

Sluggy Profile Photo
Sluggy
#4re: Billy Stritch and the Girls at Birdland 7/29
Posted: 7/26/07 at 10:03pm

I'll be there, too. Two songs will be better than none! Maybe it will be helpful to her to switch gears after the closing. According to ATC, one of the songs will be a jazz version of "Will You?".

"Which way do you want these pleats turned?" "Toward Mecca."
Updated On: 7/26/07 at 10:03 PM

katie22
#5re: Billy Stritch and the Girls at Birdland 7/29
Posted: 7/27/07 at 2:30am

Can't wait to hear the new rendition of Will You. I wonder what the other song will be. A rap of Around the World perhaps. If anyone could do it, Ebersole could. But seriously, I wonder what the other song will be.

ElphieDefiesGravity Profile Photo
ElphieDefiesGravity
#6re: Billy Stritch and the Girls at Birdland 7/29
Posted: 7/29/07 at 10:03pm

The show was great! Christine was awesome. She sang three songs; "My Favorite Things", something else, and "Will You", which was beautiful. When she was called up, she was in the bathroom, and had to rush out. It was funny. "That's everyone's worst nightmare!"

Sally Mayes and Klea Blackhurst were great- such great voices! I can't remember the names of the songs they sang, except that Mayes sang "My Funny Valentine".

Stephanie was wonderful and adorable, as usual. She sang three songs, and we learned all about her butt-tucking regimen and life as an "unemployed Broadway star", then she and Billy "got cute" and sang a doodle-doodle song. The first song she sang was "The Sweetest Sound" (I think that's what it's called.) She has an incredible ability to connect with the audience when she's singing...Aand at the stage door, once again proving that she is quite possibly the nicest person on the planet.

The show was too short, sadly; only about 75 minutes, but it was a lot of fun, and Billy Stritch himself was wonderful.

"Blow out the candles, Robert, and make a wish. Want something. Want something."

Wishes come true, not free.

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#7re: Billy Stritch and the Girls at Birdland 7/29
Posted: 7/30/07 at 12:39am

Thanks for the report, Elphie!

Celticblockhead Profile Photo
Celticblockhead
#8re: Billy Stritch and the Girls at Birdland 7/29
Posted: 7/30/07 at 1:01am

Elphie, did you wait around to see Stephanie afterwards at all?

Stephanie also sang "The Music That Makes Me Dance" from Funny Girl, which was phenominal as well. Everyone else was really great, I had never heard of two of the four woman and was very impressed. Fantastic night!
Updated On: 7/30/07 at 01:01 AM

FallintoLight Profile Photo
FallintoLight
#9re: Billy Stritch and the Girls at Birdland 7/29
Posted: 7/30/07 at 1:57am

you might want to check out youtube...

jaimiecheno
#10re: Billy Stritch and the Girls at Birdland 7/29
Posted: 7/30/07 at 1:59am

It was a really fun night. Great music, great drinks, great company. I had so much fun.

Christine's new version of Will You was breathtaking. It is sure to be a concert standard for her for years to come. :)

I chatted with her for a while after the show. PM me if you'd like to see pictures...as I have no idea how to put them here!

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#11re: Billy Stritch and the Girls at Birdland 7/29
Posted: 7/30/07 at 2:20am

fallintolight - I can't find what you're talking about on youtube

jaimie - glad you had a great time!

celticblockhead - ah! I've heard her sing all three of those songs. SO great! I know someone in particular who is going to be sorry they missed that. Especially the FG song.

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#12re: Billy Stritch and the Girls at Birdland 7/29
Posted: 7/30/07 at 9:22am

What a fantastic evening - A perfect tonic for the emotional cocktail of regret and loss engendered by seeing the final GREY GARDENS.

All four ladies were smokin' hot: Sally Mayes in "My Funny Valentine" (her voice especially blends uncannily well with Billy's) Stephanie J. Block in "The Music that Makes Me Dance" (and her butt-clenches), Klea with her silken "The Nearness of You" (one of my favorite songs, and not performed that often!) and sassy comments: "Did you know you can get a MAC award at Staples?" and Christine whose heartbreaking and soaring jazz "Will You" set the place erupting in applause. Great artisty and superb musicianship all around.

Though the ladies were everybodys reason for being at Birdland, the evening would not have been nearly as good without Billy Stritch. He had several solos (mostly from his upcoming 'Mel Torme Songbook' CD) which amply demonstrated that he is one of the finest all-around entertainers & jazz singers out there.

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"

My Sobriquet Profile Photo
My Sobriquet
#13re: Billy Stritch and the Girls at Birdland 7/29
Posted: 7/30/07 at 10:52am

I second everything that MasterLcZ wrote.

It was a perfect way to help unwind after the closing. I really liked Birdland, too, having never been there.

Christine's new (and superb) version of "Will You" makes me think that Grey Gardens will be living on in various manifestations. I like that....

Lorelai Profile Photo
Lorelai
#14re: Billy Stritch and the Girls at Birdland 7/29
Posted: 7/30/07 at 10:54am

I must also agree with MasterLcZ. What a great night.

(formerly bronte604) "You really just love money and power and capitalism? You know they're never going to love you back." "Things happen for the best...I don't even believe that myself."

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#15re: Billy Stritch and the Girls at Birdland 7/29
Posted: 7/30/07 at 11:12am

I'm sadder this morning, realizing that GREY GARDENS is really and truly gone and Broadway is much the poorer for it.

I hope we see everyone from the cast in great new projects. I know Matt has "A Catered Affair" lined up, and I hope we'll see Bob and Erin on Broadway again very soon.

Scott & Michael do have a new project ("an original musical") in the pipeline - they will be working with Jerome Weidman & Susan Stroman. No news on what it is, but it will be worth the wait!

Billy Stritch told me that Christine's forthcoming "Metropolitan Room" CD will not be ready for a couple of months yet - it will probably be released sometime in the late fall. And the jazz "Will You" will be on it!

ashley0139
#16re: Billy Stritch and the Girls at Birdland 7/29
Posted: 7/30/07 at 11:19am

I also have to echo what a great night it was. I was so glad to have something to look forward to during the GG closing, and this was a lot of fun! I am a new fan of Sally Mays- her voice was incredible.

I loved Will You, of course and Stephanie sounded beautiful.

I spoke briefly to Billy, Sally, and Stephanie afterward and they were all so sweet.

Such a fun event- I am SO glad I got to go.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
FallintoLight
GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#19re: Billy Stritch and the Girls at Birdland 7/29
Posted: 7/30/07 at 1:56pm

Thanks for the video footage. I have an audio but its great to see her perform it!

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#20re: Billy Stritch and the Girls at Birdland 7/29
Posted: 7/30/07 at 2:03pm

fallintolight - so great! thanks for that.

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#21re: Billy Stritch and the Girls at Birdland 7/29
Posted: 7/30/07 at 2:14pm

Fallintolight - Holy smokes - you musta been seated RIGHT behind me!

(that's my 'brava')

jaimiecheno
#22re: Billy Stritch and the Girls at Birdland 7/29
Posted: 7/30/07 at 2:23pm

Thanks for the video. Although I probably shouldn't have watched it before running to get my tissues first...

FallintoLight
#23re: Billy Stritch and the Girls at Birdland 7/29
Posted: 7/30/07 at 2:43pm

Glad you all enjoy it:) I'll probably upload another tonight:)

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#24re: Billy Stritch and the Girls at Birdland 7/29
Posted: 7/30/07 at 2:47pm

I'll probably upload another tonight:)
I'm counting on it! :P

Videos