News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Billy Elliot The Musical- Page 7

Billy Elliot The Musical

musicnmath
#150The Cast Recording of Billy Elliot the Musical
Posted: 7/29/05 at 1:56pm

all three billys (and michaels, etc) singing everything :) It could be 3-in-1 album.

sorry, that's not to helpful, is it?

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#151The Cast Recording of Billy Elliot the Musical
Posted: 7/29/05 at 1:58pm

I don't think I can pick one over the other, they are all brilliant ! My only wish regarding the cast recording is, RELEASE IT ALREADY, can't you see we are dying here ???? The Cast Recording of Billy Elliot the Musical

gavrochegirl
#152The Cast Recording of Billy Elliot the Musical
Posted: 7/29/05 at 2:04pm

I would really like it if Liam and Michael sing on the cast recording. The Cast Recording of Billy Elliot the Musical

What the puck?!

jczelyph Profile Photo
jczelyph
#153The Cast Recording of Billy Elliot the Musical
Posted: 7/29/05 at 2:05pm

Yeah, release it already!

Other than that, I'd like three versions released for the different sets of children. I doubt that will happen. So I want the Billy with the best voice to sing all of it. I saw Liam who was good but I don't know a lot about the singing of the other two (although I gather it's not as good...hmmmm....).

And as full a recording as possible, but without loads of dialogue tacked on to the beginning or end of the songs.

"Jane, I've been dealt a blow - I've been dealt a blow, Jane."

musicnmath
#155The Cast Recording of Billy Elliot the Musical
Posted: 7/29/05 at 3:04pm

Jeremy - I agree. Give us three (I can dream) OR pick one and record the whole album with him. Don't give us the jarring experience of having to wade through the many different voices.....

But I'm not complaining :) I'll take what I can get and be quite happy :)

BillyFan2 Profile Photo
BillyFan2
#156The Cast Recording of Billy Elliot the Musical
Posted: 7/29/05 at 3:28pm

Any/All three. I've not heard James but both Liam and George are fantastic. I can't imagine James being any less so. As a number of people have said, if there were 3 versions I would buy all three and would be proud to own them.

All great things must come to pass. We know the first will soon be last and in the ground we may be lain , but a seed is sown to rise again.

carnimiriel Profile Photo
carnimiriel
#157The Cast Recording of Billy Elliot the Musical
Posted: 7/29/05 at 3:43pm

Since 3 cast albums seems quite unlikely, I think one Billy (and his associated cast of children) should be selected for the main recording. What would be nice though is if there were a couple of bonus/hidden tracks that could be the other 2 Billys doing their versions of one or two songs.

WestEndPro Profile Photo
WestEndPro
#159A Rather Large Scan of Liam and a Question
Posted: 7/30/05 at 6:11pm

To those of you who saw the previews:

Would you like 'Goodbye Grandma' (sung by Billy to his grandmother) to be reinstated or at least included on the cast recording?

An interesting fact: Did you know that Elton John's most favourite line in the show is "It's like when you've been crying and you're empty and you're full" from 'Electricity', and that it is one of his favourite lines of all time?

Another interesting fact: Did you know that Elton John promised to write a British musical as far back as the 1970s?
Link to a rather large scan of Liam from London's Metro Life 1-7 april, 2005. Some of you might have seen this one, since it's a few months old.

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#160A Rather Large Scan of Liam and a Question
Posted: 7/30/05 at 6:36pm

WestEndPro, do you really expect any of us crazed Billy fans to answer negatively on the inclusion of one extra song to the cast recording, regardless if we've heard it or not ? A Rather Large Scan of Liam and a Question
Updated On: 7/30/05 at 06:36 PM

WestEndPro Profile Photo
WestEndPro
#161Ryan Longbottom
Posted: 7/30/05 at 8:35pm

Ryan Longbottom (11), is a comic genius. He was picked to play Michael after strenous auditions, and after being well trained. After some changing around with the cast, he was paired up with Liam Mower (Billy). He is famous for being the only one who will outshine the dance prodigy, Liam, on stage. He has a tendency to eat the spotlight, then beg for more. Usually it is not a good thing to talk about someone stealing a scene from the main performer, but Ryan, as the sexually ambiguous Michael, is a scene stealer extraordinarie - he does it well. Talking about the end of the "Express Yourself" drag number, one reviewer wrote: "[Ryan Longbottom is] clutching the proscenium arch like a cross between Judy Garland and Danny la Rue."

Ryan Longbottom

Ryan lives in Dewsbury, West Yorkshire, with his mum and dad and two sisters, Fiona and Naomi. In a way, Ryan's life is just like any other 11 year old. When in London, he shares a room with two other boys at the Billy Elliot House, wakes up in the morning at 8, has breakfast and goes to school at 9 - a school maintained by tutors at the house.

When Ryan saw his older sister Fiona dancing in Leeds, he thought that he wanted to do that too, so the very next week, at the tender age of 5, Ryan enrolled at the Mullen Theatre Studios on Elland Road in Leeds, and he later auditioned for and was accepted to the Scala School of Performing Arts, Horsforth, Leeds. He still goes to a regular school at home when he is not performing. He goes home for maybe one or two days a week and then four or five days every third week.

Even though he has done pantomime for many years, in such productions as Beauty and the Beast in Wakefield, he has a voice and a projection that will carry all the way to the back of the auditorium when he uses it. He also did a good performance in Rodger's and Hammerstein's The King & I at the Alhambra Theatre in Bradford.

One of his favourite scenes in Billy Elliot is the the Barbie scene, which always makes him want to crack up. If he talks to you, though, chances are he'll make you crack up. When he grows up he wants to become a director or an actor. He loves doing the show down in London, even though he is far away from his family. If he so wishes, he has a great future within the entertainment industry awaiting him.

Ryan Longbottom
Ryan Longbottom

Curious fact: Another Longbottom to come out of the Scala School of Performing Arts, is Neville Longbottom, or Matthew Lewis, of Harry Potter fame.

Updated On: 8/18/05 at 08:35 PM

WestEndPro Profile Photo
WestEndPro
#163Goodby Grandma
Posted: 7/31/05 at 5:16am

'Goodbye Grandma' is a really sweet song, and many people said "just don't cut that song". I bet it was a tough decision Mr. Daldry had to make to make the show a bit shorter.

And, yeah, the beginning is kind of special with the kid on stage, the documentary, and then the emotional chorus taking over as the screen is ripped to the floor. In general, the songs in this show differ very much from anything Elton has ever written before, and the 'The Stars Look Down' is no exception.
Updated On: 7/31/05 at 05:16 AM

WestEndPro Profile Photo
WestEndPro
#164Some Boys Who Didn't
Posted: 7/31/05 at 6:21pm

I know you are a bit interested in the education the boys acquired at the Billy Elliot School. As you are probably aware, more boys than the production needed were trained. I'll let you meet some of them. They all worked just as hard as the boys who finally got the parts for the premiere season.

One of them was Jonathon Cordin, from Nottingham, a potential Billy. Jonathon is a very good dancer, but even though he was only 13 when he enrolled, the production team did not think he could be taken for an 11 year old boy. This although everyone was stunned by his dancing technique. Jonathon continues to excel as a promising athlete in competitions for the Mansfield Harriers around the country.

Kieron Boston, from Sunderland, who was 12 when he attended the school, was a potential Michael. Since he was somewhat familiar with disappointments, he carried the consolation that there will always be a next time, another opportunity. Having a background with Newcastle Dance Centre & Performing Arts Academy, and having performed in some theatre productions in South Shields, he went on to shoot 'Byker Groove' for BBC.

Though none of them got the parts, they could leave the Billy Elliot School, obviously disappointed, but knowing that they just had an experience for life. You should know that many of the boys who were accepted to this fine school had been bullied for dancing, fought the fights that comes with being possibly an only boy in a dancing class of girls. For what is more, each and everyone of them has a story, maybe of unsupportive families who just could not bring themselves to understand why their boy wanted to dance. Finally they had a chance to dance with other talented boys and also have a great deal of fun while doing it.
Updated On: 7/31/05 at 06:21 PM

_clairey_ Profile Photo
_clairey_
#165Some Boys Who Didn't
Posted: 7/31/05 at 7:39pm

For the Billy Elliot album, I think that if there is going to be just one album (probably for practical reasons) then all three Billies should be incuded singing differnt songs. For example Liam could sing Electricity, George could sing The Letter, James could sing Expressing Yourself and so on (but those pairings are just ideas and probably not the most suitable)
Then we would hear all 3 boys, and they could each sing their favourite/best songs if it all worked out.

BillyFan2 Profile Photo
BillyFan2
#166Favorite Lines
Posted: 8/1/05 at 2:54am

I'd heard before that Elton's favorite lines from the musical are:

"It's like when you've been crying, and you're empty and you're full"

I think it's in one of the interviews on the bonus DVD of the "Billy Elliot" 2 DVD Special Edition.

My own personal favorite lines are from "The Letter"

"In everything you do, always be yourself Billy and you always will be true"

I can't hear these lines without my eyes welling a little.

What are everyone elses favorite lines ?

All great things must come to pass. We know the first will soon be last and in the ground we may be lain , but a seed is sown to rise again.

_clairey_ Profile Photo
_clairey_
#167Favorite Lines
Posted: 8/1/05 at 6:36pm

I too love those lines you mentioned.
I also like 'I suppose its like forgetting, losing who you are, and at the same time something makes you full'
- because I take dance lessons and thats what it feels like for me.
Lee hall has written some excellent lyrics.

I also like when after The Letter, Mrs Wilkinson says
'She must have been a very special women' (something along those lines)
and Billy says 'No, she was just me mam'
There was definitely a chorus of aww from the audience then!

I also love many of michaels hilarious lines - the barbie line that he too loves, and at many other points in the show, particlularly when he is flicking through all the dresses and when Billy mentions ballet- he says,'Ballet thats a bit weird' (again something along those lines)

Updated On: 8/1/05 at 06:36 PM

WestEndPro Profile Photo
WestEndPro
#168Brad Kavanagh
Posted: 8/1/05 at 8:34pm

Brad Kavanagh, 12, is a skateboarding dude with dark curly hair and spectacles. Courageous, robust, and rather uninhibited, what he puts his mind to, he will achieve. He plays Michael together with George Maguire as Billy. Brad carves his character into a hilarious highlight of the show. He manages to make Michael a funny, yet affectionate character. He is a true professional and has that quality so many other actors lack - timing.

Brad is from Hensingham, Whitehaven, in the Cumbrian Lake District. He has a background with the Razzamataz Theatre School in Workington and studied at St Benedict's Catholic School when he, aged 11, was encouraged by Denise Hutton of Razzamataz to audition for Billy Elliot in Newcastle in november, 2003. Over 200 boys auditioned for the part of Michael in Newcastle alone when Brad came along and showed them all the way. Brad auditioned for both Michael and Billy - without having had a single dance lesson ever! His personality caught the attention of the casting team already at the first audition, and they soon learned that he would do well to concentrate on the part of Michael, but he had to learn to tap, and a teacher from Razzamataz gave him an intense 2 hours a week crash course just before he entered the Billy Elliot School to help him win the part.

If you have seen Brad perform at any festival or other occasion, which he started attending to sing at the age of 8, you know he sticks in your head.

As a member of Whitehaven's Theatre of Youth, he played Joseph in a production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat. The theatre company gave him a £250 scholarship to help him cover expenses in connection with becoming Michael. He also played Bert in Arthur Miller's All My Sons in 2002.

In 2003, he won News & Star's Reach for the Stars competition for children under 11. He is also an award winning verse speaker.

His mum, Lisa, is still astounded at just how he managed to get the part.

Originally and actor and singer, taught by Mr. John Baxter Shaw and Pauline Roberts of Razzamataz Theatre School, he was refined his tap skills at the Billy Elliot School under the supervision of Julie Lovewell, who several years earlier had found some talent in young Liam Mower, who is now playing Billy, and also had encouraged him to audition for the musical. Brad soon ruled the dance floor.

His proud grandparents came to see him when he premiered on West End together with George Maguire. Updated On: 8/2/05 at 08:34 PM

BillyFan2 Profile Photo
BillyFan2
#170re: Billy Elliot The Musical
Posted: 8/2/05 at 8:18am

I would imagine that if they moved it across then they would need to keep much of the story the same. I'm not sure how it would translate into another place/time. One of the reasons it works so well over here, apart from the precocious talent of it's stars, is that many people remember Maggie Thatcher, the miners strike and how it was to be brought up in that era. I can easily imagine how tough it would be to have wanted to do ballet around that time, especially in a dying closeknit mining town.

I've sat next to or near Americans at a number of showings and they seem to get the core of the story, though they do seem to miss a large amount of the dialogue through the accents. Perhaps it would be possible to keep the story intact for the most part but soften the accents and the language a little. Lets face it, most Americans wouldn't know a Geordie accent from a martian one. I wouldn't know a Pittsburgh accent from a martian one either :P

I hope it can make the transition successfully, but I fear it can't. Especially with idiot critics like John Lahr at large who obviously couldn't tell "Camp" if it bit him and obviously couldn't see far enough to see the beauty in the story.

Ringo Star
#171re: Billy Elliot The Musical
Posted: 8/2/05 at 4:31pm

I hate to say it but i'm pretty sure that picture above shows Liam Mower and Ryan Longbottom. Not Brad Kavanagh. I don't think Brad and Liam have actually performed together. Sorry! Just thought you might like to know.

WestEndPro Profile Photo
WestEndPro
#172re: Billy Elliot The Musical
Posted: 8/2/05 at 5:06pm

Actually, he did perform with Liam from time to time. Brad was one of Liam's first Michaels, but I took the picture down until I can find a better one. Sorry about that. I also updated the text a bit.

Also, here's a cute little article someone sent me:
Boys jump for a chance of fame
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFriendly/0,,1-2-960445,00.html

Quote from then 10 year old Matthew Low who auditioned for the musical: "They call me 'ballet boy' and other names. I try to ignore them but sometimes it gets to me. I liked the film Billy Elliot because it made it a bit easier for boys who do ballet." This is true for many boys who auditioned for the part, it seems.

The article's Matthew Low went on to compete in scottish dancing.

I do not know what happened to Tyler, maybe you do.

Updated On: 8/2/05 at 05:06 PM

WestEndPro Profile Photo
WestEndPro
#173Casting Billy
Posted: 8/2/05 at 8:27pm

Jessica Ronane had a difficult job when she started the auditioning process for Billy Elliot the Musical. She had a database created with all accredited dance schools in the north and north east of England, and called each of them asking them if they had boys aged 11-14 attending their school. If they had more than two, she personally visited the school and invited the boys to attend the audition. That's how it started. She found her boys everywhere. Most of them came from working-class families. The boys danced everywhere, any place where less privileged kids "would pay a pound on Saturday to just let rip and forget about the crap". To them, dancing was a means to an end - to get out of a hopeless situation.

Below are some pictures from an audition in London on February 8, 2004.

Casting Billy

Casting Billy

Casting Billy

Updated On: 8/2/05 at 08:27 PM

WestEndPro Profile Photo
WestEndPro
#174James and Ashley
Posted: 8/4/05 at 3:05am

How many of you are going to try to see James Lomas and Ashley Lloyd before the cast changes?

Emilie
#175James and Ashley
Posted: 8/4/05 at 9:12am

I am a big fan of Billy Elliot and I've been to the show twice.( Apparently not enough)
I saw Liam the first time and James the second time. Even though they're both great, I would love to see Liam more times before tha cast changes.

BillyFan2 Profile Photo
BillyFan2
#176James and Ashley
Posted: 8/4/05 at 10:14am

You already know I am :P

IloveGeorgeMaguire
#177James and Ashley
Posted: 8/4/05 at 2:00pm

I sent George a letter do you fink i will get a reply i really hope i do because i love him so so much????

Videos