News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

best 11 o'clock number

sean martin
#100Stolen DEFINITION
Posted: 7/4/04 at 3:33pm

DOLLY got saved by a few things, actually. If you look on the back of the very first pressing of the OBC album (and it has to be the very first), there's a photo from a production number originally in the Harmonia Gardens scene that has Vandergelder surrounded by the chorus dressed as butterflies. I'm guessing that was replaced by the dance contest number, but if anyone has a lead on what it actually was, I'd love to know.

"That duck was a sexual toy, and it was on display!" -- an unknown Nashville town leader

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#101Stolen DEFINITION
Posted: 7/4/04 at 3:54pm

It was indeed a cut number, "Come and Be My Butterfly," but I know very little about the content of it.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

Speed
#102Stolen DEFINITION
Posted: 7/4/04 at 5:22pm

An 11 o'clock number is most certainly NOT a number that is brought in to save a show. "Comedy Tonight" is not an eleven o'clock number.

An 11 o'clock number is generally the second to last number of the show. If the end of the show (the Finale) is "midnight," so to speak, the 11 o'clock number is the number that comes in right before that.

Rose's Turn is an 11 o'clock number, but that show doesn't really have a Finale, so Rose's Turn is one of those 11 o'clock numbers that IS the final number of the show.

I think it also came from the very literal definition of coming in at 11pm when shows started at 8:30.

"And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going" is not an 11 o'clock number. Nor is "Hello Dolly." "Sit Down You're Rockin the Boat" is a CLASSIC 11 o'clock number. Updated On: 7/4/04 at 05:22 PM

sean martin
#103Stolen DEFINITION
Posted: 7/4/04 at 5:33pm

>> An 11 o'clock number is most certainly NOT a number that is brought in to save a show.

Are you QUITE sure? :)

(j/k)

"That duck was a sexual toy, and it was on display!" -- an unknown Nashville town leader

Videos