News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Band's Visit not worth 9 Tonys- Page 5

Band's Visit not worth 9 Tonys

Impossible2
#100Band's Visit not worth 9 Tonys
Posted: 6/12/18 at 11:22am

Oak2 said: "
The Band's Visit winning its awards does not in anyway invalidate my own opinions and tastes, so I can be happy that it found popularity and acclaim even if I do not like it. "

You haven't even seen it so your opinion is completely invalid.

Updated On: 6/12/18 at 11:22 AM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#101Band's Visit not worth 9 Tonys
Posted: 6/12/18 at 12:24pm

I'm sorry, but anyone arguing that TBV winning 10 Tonys is anything other than a political statement from the ATW are wrong. 

Because every voter told you personally how and why they voted for each winner?

It's very upsetting that while TBV is a wonderful, wonderful show, it took so much from other shows. 

The show didn't take anything from any other show.  All it did was accept the awards it was given.

This attitude that certain award results must be indicative of a conspiracy is not only arrogance of a Trumpian sort, but use of such phrases as "more deserving" and "more worthy" is insulting to the recipients, who are blameless, and makes people sound like petulant bitter stans because the Tonys didn't do what they wanted.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

WayTooBroadway Profile Photo
WayTooBroadway
#102Band's Visit not worth 9 Tonys
Posted: 6/12/18 at 1:05pm

I really think STAN means "stupid fans." 

"When the audience comes in, it changes the temperature of what you've written." -Stephen Sondheim

KayGlass2
#103Band's Visit not worth 9 Tonys
Posted: 6/12/18 at 3:17pm

For those whining about the lighting design, perhaps "subtle" isn't good enough for you?  The light literally tracked across the stage from sunset to sunrise, moonlight was beautifully separated from sunlight, and all of the different white light balances of indoor to outdoor were MASTERFUL.

Also, just...shut up.  "I hate it when shows sweep it all" is an utterly ridiculous statement.  Maybe it swept each category because it...deserved it?

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#104Band's Visit not worth 9 Tonys
Posted: 6/12/18 at 5:01pm

KayGlass2 said: "For those whining...

Also, just...shut up. "I hate it when shows sweep it all" is an utterly ridiculous statement. Maybe it swept each category because it...deserved it?"

THIS ^ ^ ^....

...and to the whiners, get over it. :)

Flashy and in your face doesn’t necessarily mean BEST. Sometimes “subtle” is BEST.

“The Band’s Visit” was chosen BEST for a reason. 

Time to move on folks. 

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#105Band's Visit not worth 9 Tonys
Posted: 6/12/18 at 5:28pm

The Band's Visit deserved every single Tony.

kasim Profile Photo
kasim
#106Band's Visit not worth 9 Tonys
Posted: 6/12/18 at 6:04pm

Simón Bolívar said: "
And the irony is that the best play went to the most commercial of the lot. Just like in theme park ville. Universal is winning and Disney is loosing"

Course the difference is the Cursed Child is an original piece thats never been a movie and was written as a screen play. So while its from a franchise its very original.

Also its an amazing show all the way around. Didnt see the Band's Visit, saw Frozen and Mean Girls and didnt think either would win a Tony watching it. So wasn't overly surprised.

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#107Band's Visit not worth 9 Tonys
Posted: 6/12/18 at 7:19pm

well i am in NYC this weekend and bought my ticket to see THE BAND'S VISIT for Saturday matinee...based solely on the Tony's and some wonderful YOUTUBE videos of highlights...also Ben Brantley of the NYTIMES, and Charles McNulty of the LATIMES both loved it so there you go!!

on a side note i am still seeing THE BOYS IN THE BAND this Friday night no matter what Brantley said...so there!!

Oak2
#108Band's Visit not worth 9 Tonys
Posted: 6/12/18 at 7:32pm

Impossible2 said: "Oak2 said: "
The Band's Visit winning its awards does not in anyway invalidate my own opinions and tastes, so I can be happy that it found popularity and acclaim even if I do not like it. "

You haven't even seen it so your opinion is completely invalid.

"Wrong. I am always allowed to judge something based on what is available to me before choosing whether it's worth spending money on, and am allowed to dislike what I've seen and heard.. It's ludicrous to say one has to travel many miles and spend hundreds on something they already dislike based on what's been seen and heard. Unless you're going to pay for my ticket, you are not going to force me to see something I know I will dislike. And you can never make me feel like my thoughts and opinions are invalid. I will always continue to voice them, no matter what you think of them.

Updated On: 6/12/18 at 07:32 PM

Tim Barstow
#109Band's Visit not worth 9 Tonys
Posted: 6/12/18 at 8:56pm

schubox said: "Some nasty posts in here. Saw TBV twice and adored it both times. The second time from the front row was one of the better theater experiences I’ve had.

The second time I went with my gf, who was seeing it for the first time, and after Answer Me she showed me her arm and she has goosebumps.

I totally get why a lot of people don’t like the show, but I thought it was wonderful and nuanced and beautiful. I can understand not liking it, but I don’t understand people’s need to tear it apart because of how successfull it was last night. A lot of negativity in here

there's a difference between nuanced and boring!

mararose
#110Band's Visit not worth 9 Tonys
Posted: 6/12/18 at 9:01pm

I must jump in and disagree about Tony Shalhoub star status.  I think he is a much bigger star and known name than Tina Fey, mostly due to Monk.  Monk was on for eight successful seasons, won him 3 Emmy awards and is popular all over the world, especially parts of Europe.  He's a huge star in that regard not to mention one of the most gifted actors of his generation.  

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#111Band's Visit not worth 9 Tonys
Posted: 6/12/18 at 9:03pm

Clearly people who knew what they were talking about didn't find it boring since it won 10 Tonys. Maybe you have a problem regarding your attention span.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#112Band's Visit not worth 9 Tonys
Posted: 6/12/18 at 9:32pm

schubox said: "Some nasty posts in here. I can understand not liking it, but I don’t understand people’s need to tear it apart because of how successfull it was last night. A lot of negativity in here"

Ironically, at this point, the majority of the negativity and nasty posts on here aren't coming from the show's critics, but from its supporters. 

Updated On: 6/12/18 at 09:32 PM

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#113Band's Visit not worth 9 Tonys
Posted: 6/13/18 at 12:40am

If I had a nickel for every TBV fan acting like someone not enjoying the show is a personal attack against them, I’d be rich. I promise you people will live with the fact that some found the show boring. Everyone has found at least one musical boring, and it will continue to happen until musical theatre ceases to be a thing. It’s not the end of the world.

And by the way, people finding the show boring or the characters underdeveloped aren’t stupid or unable to understand “nuance” just because they didn’t enjoy themselves. It’s called a difference in taste. You’ll be a lot happier if you accept that not everyone will agree with every single opinion of yours. :)

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#114Band's Visit not worth 9 Tonys
Posted: 6/13/18 at 7:54am

GeorgeandDot said: "Clearly people who knew what they were talking about didn't find it boring since it won 10 Tonys. Maybe you have a problem regarding your attention span."

If anyone has a problem here, I think it's you and your inability to understand that maybe, just MAYBE, people have different taste than you.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#115Band's Visit not worth 9 Tonys
Posted: 6/13/18 at 9:02am

Elfuhbuh said: "If I had a nickel for every TBV fan acting like someone not enjoying the show is a personal attack against them, I’d be rich. I promise you people will live with the fact that some found the show boring. Everyone has found at least one musical boring, and it will continue to happen until musical theatre ceases to be a thing. It’s not the end of the world.

And by the way, people finding the show boring or the characters underdeveloped aren’t stupid or unable to understand “nuance” just because they didn’t enjoy themselves. It’s called a difference in taste. You’ll be a lot happier if you accept that not everyone will agree with every single opinion of yours. :)
"

That's a two way street - most people when they dislike a show think everyone agrees with them - that their boredom (or whatever) is universal.   

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

GhostXmasPast
#116Band's Visit not worth 9 Tonys
Posted: 6/13/18 at 10:45am

Mister Matt said: "I'm sorry, but anyone arguing that TBV winning 10 Tonys is anything other than a political statement from the ATW are wrong.

Because every voter told you personally how and why they voted for each winner?

It's very upsetting that while TBV is a wonderful, wonderful show, it took so much from other shows.

The show didn't take anything from any other show. All it did was accept the awards it was given.

This attitude that certain award resultsmust be indicative of a conspiracy is not only arrogance of a Trumpian sort, but use of such phrases as "more deserving" and "more worthy" is insulting to the recipients, who are blameless, and makes people sound like petulant bitter stans because the Tonys didn't do what they wanted.
"

Anyone who has followed Tony voting over an extended period of time knows full well that Tony voters cast their votes based on a variety of factors.

Although voters are supposed to see every show they vote on - I know of voters who leave shows early, or find some way not to see it at all.

Although votes should be secret, there are plenty of voters perfectly happy to share how they voted and why.  If you doubt this - simply read the New York Times article on the subject.

So - were their "Protest Votes" - depending on your meaning of "Protest" - yes.  And voters perfectly happy to explain their rationale.  Resistance against corporate influence of Broadway was a common theme.  While the political overtones of tolerance and resistance were subtle, they were these - and some those seeking affirmation of their beliefs regarding Middle Eastern events found refuge at TBV.

It is worth noting that there were also voters who simply chose not to vote for a "Best Musical" - which is not exactly a strong endorsement of TBV.

As for other categories - let's consider an easy one - Sound Design.  Assuming you have seen TBV - and the show I believe should have won Sound Design - "Sponge Bob" - please let me know what was special about TBV's sound design.  Besides "You didn't notice it" - because I DID notice Sponge Bob's - and it was brilliant.  A "Sound FX guy was a member of a cast - on stage - and his work accompanied the cast throughout the show.  Requiring flawless sound execution.  Now THAT you DID notice.  There were other moments of brilliance scattered across the Broadway landscape - this would have been the ideal year to "spread the wealth" - for Tony voters to carefully assess various performances and creative efforts and make well considered choices.

The one argument in favor of TBV winning Best Musical is that the competition this year was "extraordinarily ordinary" at best.  With a limited lineup of new musicals to choose from, and nothing that would be characterized as a "Hit."  Winners and contenders from previous years are enjoying greater success at the box office than most members of this year's stellar lineup.  So - perhaps in some categories TBV was "the best" - among the lineup available.  But every category?  Uhhh - no.  No Way.

That said, I have no dog in the hunt this year -  congratulations to TBV.  There is much to be said for a "Small Show" enjoying some recognition - it does give hope for a future in which Disney, Scott Rudin and Viacom won't completely control the Broadway landscape.  

On we go . . .!

#117Band's Visit not worth 9 Tonys
Posted: 6/13/18 at 2:09pm

I saw this, went by myself, sat upstairs. I never connected with it, which I think is because it is small, and quiet, and subtle, slow moving, and at times dimly lit, and whatever magic it conjures up just didn't reach some of us sitting upstairs.

When it was over the woman sitting next to me (we hadn't spoken before this) turned to me and said, "That's IT?"  She laughed, pointed out people in the orchestra section giving it a standing ovation, and she said, "If they give a standing O to this, they'll give it to anything!" 

A man behind her, also a stranger, said that he agreed.  

Watching the Tonys I liked that one number much more on TV where the cameras were close up than I did from where I had sat (about midway up in the mezzanine) when I saw it live. 

Since that live experience, whenever I've talked with a friend who's seen it (about a dozen), I asked what they thought, and 100% across the board the ones who loved it sat in the orchestra section, and everyone who didn't like it sat upstairs.  

I know that's anecdotal, not scientific, but if you're thinking of going, I'd suggest you sit close. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#118Band's Visit not worth 9 Tonys
Posted: 6/13/18 at 2:14pm

I do sometimes wish The Band's Visit was in a smaller theatre, like the Helen Hayes or something. It's never surprising to me that when people say that didn't like the show, they were often sitting in the mezzanine at the Barrymore. I haven't heard a single negative report from someone who saw it from the orchestra. Seems like distance really affects how you take in the show.

Updated On: 6/13/18 at 02:14 PM

Impossible2
#119Band's Visit not worth 9 Tonys
Posted: 6/13/18 at 2:17pm

I was 6th row centre Orch and I absolutely loved it because it was so intimate.

Obviously that is lost further back.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#120Band's Visit not worth 9 Tonys
Posted: 6/13/18 at 2:24pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "I do sometimes wishThe Band's Visitwas in a smaller theatre, like the Helen Hayes or something. It's never surprising to me that when people say that didn't like the show, they were often sitting in the mezzanine at the Barrymore. I haven't heard a single negative report from someone who saw it from the orchestra. Seems like distance really affects how you take in the show."

We sat front row center mezzanine (perfect) and loved it!

Band's Visit not worth 9 Tonys

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#121Band's Visit not worth 9 Tonys
Posted: 6/13/18 at 2:25pm

Robbie2 said: "We sat front row center mezzanine (perfect) and loved it!"

I sat in that very same row during one of my return trips to the show, and loved it just as much up there. Every other time I've seen it, I was in the orchestra, though. (Might be why I continue to love it so much!)

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#122Band's Visit not worth 9 Tonys
Posted: 6/13/18 at 2:26pm

Well, I must congratulate you on having direct access into the minds of the majority of Tony voters.  Golf claps!

I knew a Tony voter who didn't attend all the shows, either,  In fact, he told me Aida won Best Score because he believed it was the "only true Broadway" score that season.  Did I assume that was the majority opinion of all voters?  No, because I don't generalize the voters and pronounce my assumptions to be absolute.  Like Trump, I knew that he was a wealthy delusional a-hole with high-profile financial relationships who pretended to know about his field while relying on underpaid grunts to actually do everything.

You think adding a sound-effects guy on stage deserves a Tony for Sound Design.  I don't because I found the sound effects more annoying than interesting or effective and I've seen enough "radio broadcast" productions of shows from amateur to Equity doing the same thing as well or better.  Does that translate to a vote for TBV as an anti-commerical-corporate conspiracy?  It sounds like you'd say it automatically does because you may have heard or read about a handful of Tony voters who are press hounds jabbering about their biases.  The exact same conspiracy we hear about every time a "little-show-that-could" wins Best Musical.

The one argument in favor of TBV winning Best Musical is that the competition this year was "extraordinarily ordinary" at best. 

Yeah, that's the sort of arrogance I was talking about.  If you're going to be so reductive about the award as rationale for a minority opinion, then the award truly should have no meaning to you for any season because all musicals only have the season in which they perform for a shot at the prize, regardless the opinion of the season itself.  Like every other year in Tony history (except 1960, which was a tie), the Best Musical winner won because it received the most votes.  Speculating about how a show would have fared against other shows in other seasons doesn't support anything other than speculation.  Saying "Well, Kismet wouldn't have won if it were up against Sweeney Todd, Sunday in the Park With George, Follies and A Little Night Music!" doesn't really prove any point.  It's really just snark.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#123Band's Visit not worth 9 Tonys
Posted: 6/13/18 at 3:03pm

"The ones who loved it sat in the orchestra section, and everyone who didn't like it sat upstairs."

I've been claiming this for a while now, so nice to see several posters echoing this notion. We were front mezzanine center, but even that felt a little too far back to catch the nuances in the performances that so many others were raving about. It was revelatory to watch "Omar Sharif" on the Tonys to see all that was going on in the 2 actors' faces. Maybe seeing that much detail in the theater would have left me a much bigger fan of TBV.

And isn't it fair to ask a Broadway production to convey its charms equally for row F in the orchestra as much as row F in the mezzanine?

Updated On: 6/13/18 at 03:03 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#124Band's Visit not worth 9 Tonys
Posted: 6/13/18 at 3:07pm

Not unfair, but possibly an impossible thing to do in the case of quiet and subtle.

As I've mentioned: first time I saw it I was in the last row of the mezz.   I still liked it immensely, walked out KNOWING I wanted to see it again.  2nd time I was in the front mezz - and yes, I liked it more for many of the reasons being talked about (and that I got to see Shalhoub this time.)

In this case, I can see how it could make a very big difference in enjoyment.  I can only begin to imagine how it would play in the Helen Hayes or off b'way.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Videos