News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

BONNIE & CLYDE Reviews

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#150BONNIE & CLYDE Reviews
Posted: 12/1/11 at 10:48pm

Brantley is negative:

"That Clyde Barrow is such a cutup. Why, the boy will do most anything to stir up his sluggish fellow Americans: slap at them, tickle them, shoot them in cold blood. He’ll even punch his fist clean through a wall and drive a big old car right onto the stage, just to try to get a rise out of somebody. But Clyde, honey, t’ain’t nothing you can do to raise the pulse of something that’s as near to dead as the show you’re in.

But for all their semiclad spooning and sparking and aspiringly fiery fights, this Bonnie and Clyde don’t seem convincingly hot for each other or for the thrill of being on the run. Ms. Osnes is a lovely young woman of fashion-model proportions and an instinctive, accessible elegance that reads Ingénue. (She was perfect as the romantic lead in the current revival of “Anything Goes.”)

I don’t think ingénue was what Bonnie Parker was about. Ms. Osnes brings to mind a Bennington girl slumming with rough trade on her semester off. And while she has in past performances proved herself an incisive and expressive dancer (it’s her foremost tool in defining character), here she’s allowed nary a step."

http://theater.nytimes.com/2011/12/02/theater/reviews/bonnie-clyde-with-laura-osnes-and-jeremy-jordan-review.html

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#151BONNIE & CLYDE Reviews
Posted: 12/1/11 at 10:48pm

New York Times is Negative, only complementing Osnes for her performance in Anything Goes.

Directed and (sort of) choreographed by Jeff Calhoun, “Bonnie & Clyde” manages to make that triple-threat lure of sex, youth and violence seem about as glamorous as — and a lot less dangerous than — Black Friday at Wal-Mart.

Sealing the deal...

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

justoldbill Profile Photo
justoldbill
#152BONNIE & CLYDE Reviews
Posted: 12/1/11 at 10:49pm

What I don't understand is, if the show's creators were trying to wean themselves away from any preconcieved notions of the film BONNIE AND CLYDE, why they would choose to call their show BONNIE & CLYDE. If they want to cash in on the title's familiarity, the contempt it may breed must be lived with as well.

Well-well-well-what-do-you-think-of-that-I-have-nothing-here-to-pay-my-train-fare-with-only-large-bills-fives-and-sevens....

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#153BONNIE & CLYDE Reviews
Posted: 12/1/11 at 10:54pm

If Once doesn't open this season, Spider-Man has a decent chance at winning the Tony for Best Musical.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

massofmen
#154BONNIE & CLYDE Reviews
Posted: 12/1/11 at 10:54pm

turn off the lights the party's over..wow.poor frank wildhorn. And all those investors that trusted him that THIS would be the one..sad cause i do like his tunes.

i hope they all have jobs for the holiday season. This might close asap. They have 6 dates on TDf already and this will not boost sales at all..ugh..

NovaNurse7
#155BONNIE & CLYDE Reviews
Posted: 12/1/11 at 10:57pm

All of these reviews are so disheartening. I'm confused by the discrepancy between the word-of-mouth reviews, which have been overwhelmingly positive, and the critical response. Is there really such a difference of opinion and taste between critics and your average audience member? Are critics out of touch, or is the audience? I just don't understand all of the negativity. I truly enjoyed this show both times I've seen it, and it just makes me wonder what I see in this show that critics don't, and vice versa.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#156BONNIE & CLYDE Reviews
Posted: 12/1/11 at 10:57pm

This is a real shame. I truly loved this show and honestly thought it would be received very well.

Clewis1219 Profile Photo
Clewis1219
#157BONNIE & CLYDE Reviews
Posted: 12/1/11 at 10:59pm

I find it interesting that the Times includes a link of illegally recorded footage from Anything Goes.

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#158BONNIE & CLYDE Reviews
Posted: 12/1/11 at 11:00pm

That was a real thrashing. I think the show's probably in a lot of trouble. And Blaxx, Newsies certainly has potential and who knows what Rebecca will bring, but I'm really hoping Once transfers.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#159BONNIE & CLYDE Reviews
Posted: 12/1/11 at 11:02pm

Hopefully they will not cancel the planned cast album

The critics may get their wish. If they panned this, he is wasting his time with any show in NY. Stay overseas & record his music and let those who enjoy it listen to it.

Whoever will the critics rip apart now that they have probably finished Wildhorn on Broadway.I will always wonder why there is so much outright hostility toward him. I hope he finally tells them to collectively stick it where the sun does not shine as a farewell gesture.

Many of these critics would not know a good show if it came & bit them in the ass. Give me 20 Wildhorn shows over things like the mindnumingly boring Copenhagen

Poster Emeritus

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#160BONNIE & CLYDE Reviews
Posted: 12/1/11 at 11:02pm

Hopefully they'll revert back to some of the La Jolla material for the licensed version. Good riddance.

GatorNY Profile Photo
GatorNY
#161BONNIE & CLYDE Reviews
Posted: 12/1/11 at 11:03pm

I keep thinking of the definition of insanity that is used in 12 step programs. Something like doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome. This show was a on a totally different level than Wonderland. Oh well. Looks like I'll be able to get tickets on TDF for a while at least. I enjoyed the show, and will continue to do so. It does make you wonder...obviously, I'm an idiot. Not.

"The price of love is loss, but still we pay; We love anyway."
Updated On: 12/1/11 at 11:03 PM

thismyshow
#162BONNIE & CLYDE Reviews
Posted: 12/1/11 at 11:05pm

And with that newsies probably just won best new musical.....

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#163BONNIE & CLYDE Reviews
Posted: 12/1/11 at 11:08pm

Wow........What a shame, this really looked like it had potential, and all the word of mouth seemed great, at least on here from some of the toughest queens.

Wonder if Jordan is looking towards Newsies now?? Can't picture this sticking out thru the January/Gebruary slump...

CukorLover Profile Photo
CukorLover
#164BONNIE & CLYDE Reviews
Posted: 12/1/11 at 11:19pm

Wonder if Jordan is looking towards Newsies now?? Can't picture this sticking out thru the January/Gebruary slump...

While reversing the age process from the 25 year old Clyde to the 17 year old Jack may not be the "star" course you'd like to take, I'm sure he won't turn it down.

umgeoboy Profile Photo
umgeoboy
#165BONNIE & CLYDE Reviews
Posted: 12/1/11 at 11:21pm

NY Post is mixed/positive 2.5/4 stars

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/theater/wanted_edgier_bonnie_wMZLZWpvNX4Z8HWzYAseHO

"Judy Garland, Jimmy Dean, You tragedy Queen" ~ Taboo

"Watching a frat boy realize just what he put his d!ck in...ex's getting std's...schadenfruede" ~ Ave Q

"when dangers near, exploit their fear" ~ Reefer Madness the Musical

umgeoboy Profile Photo
umgeoboy
#166BONNIE & CLYDE Reviews
Posted: 12/1/11 at 11:23pm

Daily News is mixed to positive) 3/5 stars

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music-arts/frank-wildhorn-bonnie-clyde-hits-broadway-dreams-celebrity-made-kill-sing-article-1.984737?localLinksEnabled=false

"Watching a frat boy realize just what he put his d!ck in...ex's getting std's...schadenfruede" ~ Ave Q

umgeoboy Profile Photo
umgeoboy
#167BONNIE & CLYDE Reviews
Posted: 12/1/11 at 11:23pm

I know the NYT was a complete pan but there are a bunch of mixed/positive reviews coming out there as well...

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#168BONNIE & CLYDE Reviews
Posted: 12/1/11 at 11:24pm

"Word of Mouth" means something to me when that annoying chunky kid Chase is no where to be found.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

beautywickedlover
#169BONNIE & CLYDE Reviews
Posted: 12/1/11 at 11:24pm

Entertainment Weekly gave it a "C":

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20364394_20550263,00.html
Updated On: 12/2/11 at 11:24 PM

massofmen
#170BONNIE & CLYDE Reviews
Posted: 12/1/11 at 11:25pm

you are kidding right? the WSj and the NYTimes destroyed this show. 2 of the top three most circulated papers in the country and you are counting on....bloomberg news? or the NY daily news?
come on...

CATSNYrevival
#171BONNIE & CLYDE Reviews
Posted: 12/1/11 at 11:27pm

Enough with WSj. It's almost as if you're their press agent.

umgeoboy Profile Photo
umgeoboy
#172BONNIE & CLYDE Reviews
Posted: 12/1/11 at 11:28pm

other shows have survived a NYT trashing...so yes I am not counting it out until the pink slip goes on the wall.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#173BONNIE & CLYDE Reviews
Posted: 12/1/11 at 11:30pm

other shows have survived a NYT trashing

Such as?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

CATSNYrevival
#174BONNIE & CLYDE Reviews
Posted: 12/1/11 at 11:30pm

They have their Times pull quote if they're allowed to leave out one word... "A modest, [mildly] tuneful musical biography of Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker."

Videos