News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Anything Goes

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#0Anything Goes
Posted: 8/9/04 at 3:38pm

I was just wondering what y'all thought the best version of the show on CD was. I want to buy one this afternoon, but have no idea which one I should get.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

KMF_NYC Profile Photo
KMF_NYC
#1re: Anything Goes
Posted: 8/9/04 at 3:40pm

Lincoln Center revival with LuPone....

edited for reasons...
Being a Patti fan is not the only reason, although she was a terrific Reno and made the character her own -- the first to break the Merman bubble -- just listen to I Get a Kick and Blow Gabriel-- I also think that Howard McGillan was a terrific Billy.

The score is well sung by the entire company as well as the orchestrations/arrangements....

"Sir K, the Viscount of Uppity-shire...." -- kissmycookie
Updated On: 8/9/04 at 03:40 PM

Plum
#2re: Anything Goes
Posted: 8/9/04 at 3:43pm

I'll second Matt's question- any other opinions? Reasons why?

MusicalDirector109
#3re: Anything Goes
Posted: 8/9/04 at 3:46pm

I think the Lupone version is EXCITING!!!!! The orchestrations are bright and Lupone is wonderful as is the rest of the cast. The Hal Linden recording is good for the "Heaven Hop"!!

kissmycookie Profile Photo
kissmycookie
#4re: Anything Goes
Posted: 8/9/04 at 4:02pm

I haven't heard the Elaine Paige recording yet, so I must withhold judgement until I do.

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#5re: Anything Goes
Posted: 8/9/04 at 5:02pm

Anyone else want to chime in on this?

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#6re: Anything Goes
Posted: 8/9/04 at 5:25pm

I love both the LuPone and Paige recordings. I don't like the 1062 Off-Broadway recording because the score and songs were altered too much (though a couple of songs were added to the 1988 revival as well). Heaven Hop is cute, but Take Me Back to Manhattan is a very weak song for the finale. I also like the Australian recording of the 1988 revival, but it is tough to find. The 1988 studio recording with Kim Criswell is fascinating just to hear the original version of the score, but listening to Federika Von Stade speak dialogue is a heavy price to pay (I was unfortunate enough to sit through a production of A Little Night Music with Von Stade as Desiree). After hearing it though, it is clear that the 1988 revisions strengthened the score.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

sambaflora
#7re: Anything Goes
Posted: 8/9/04 at 5:33pm

Hello Matt.
I would shoot for the '62 Off-Broadway Revival cast with Eileen Rodgers. There is an effortless giddiness about the whole affair missing from the '87 Revival.
Rodgers is crisp + ballsy as Reno....+ her duet with Kenneth Mars on 'Let's Misbehave' is just about perfection.

Good luck.
CSR

Me fail English? That's unpossible! - Ralph Wiggum

GovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
#8re: Anything Goes
Posted: 8/9/04 at 5:40pm

I have the 1962 recording, and I love it. It is a very fun, light cd. I'm going to get the 1988 revival soon, but for now I'm sticking with the one I have.

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#9re: Anything Goes
Posted: 8/9/04 at 5:40pm

Anyone have the current London revival?

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#10re: Anything Goes
Posted: 8/9/04 at 5:51pm

I have that one as well, but the cast isn't as good as the 1988 revival. The score is more or less the same with some slight changes in orchestrations. To me, it lacks the vibrancy of the Broadway and London 1988 cast recordings.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

KMF_NYC Profile Photo
KMF_NYC
#11re: Anything Goes
Posted: 8/9/04 at 5:53pm

have not heard it and only see it available on UK site (amazon.uk and dress circle...the Amazon posted reviews are not much help (in my opinion) but I would love to hear this cast

"Sir K, the Viscount of Uppity-shire...." -- kissmycookie

kissmycookie Profile Photo
kissmycookie
#12re: Anything Goes
Posted: 8/9/04 at 7:17pm

It might be available at Footlights

Seany Profile Photo
Seany
#13re: Anything Goes
Posted: 8/9/04 at 7:18pm

The New Broadway Cast is better sung, but not my favorite "version" of the show. Get both the original Broadway AND the new Broadway.

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.

George67 Profile Photo
George67
#14re: Anything Goes
Posted: 8/9/04 at 7:47pm

:Having never heard any of the previous recordings..but haveing seen the current London production both at the National and its current home Drury Lane...and of course being a long time fan of John Barrowman, I have to go with the 2003 recording. Plus I think Sally Ann Triplett is amazing as Reno.

Its available on amazon.com

webmaster for www.JohnBarrowman.com (the official site)

Videos