News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

AMELIE to close on May 21- Page 7

AMELIE to close on May 21

JustAnotherNewYorker
#150AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/20/17 at 5:23pm

Last I checked there were still a few Orchestra tickets left to the final performance for about $70 each using the lottery loser code. 

ChairinMain Profile Photo
ChairinMain
#151AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/20/17 at 7:19pm

Curious, as I always am with Short-lived runs, if Philippa ever missed a performance? Does anyone know if her understudies had a chance to go on. I very much liked Alyse Alan Louis when I saw the show in Berkeley - hope she got a chance to go on.. 

willrolandsframes
#152AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/21/17 at 10:11pm

Was anybody at today's final performance?

sparklemotion Profile Photo
sparklemotion
#153AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/21/17 at 10:12pm

I was. It was wonderful.

froote
#154AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/21/17 at 10:19pm

I'm pretty sure Phillipa never missed a show.

JustAnotherNewYorker
#155AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/21/17 at 11:01pm

I was also there. It was lovely. A few people I spoke to had plans to see it later in the summer that were accelerated due to the closing (sometimes going into much less favorable seats--one person I spoke with had orchestra seats for July, got a refund for those, and ended up in the 2nd row balcony). The stagedoor was packed 5 or 6 deep afterward. 

Unlike some other final performances I've seen (Matilda and Something Rotten come to mind), no speeches

Updated On: 5/21/17 at 11:01 PM

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#156AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/21/17 at 11:44pm

Was there anything left to say in speeches , apart from sorry we wrote such a crappy show? 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

JustAnotherNewYorker
#157AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/22/17 at 12:17am

rosscoe(au) said: "Was there anything left to say in speeches , apart from sorry we wrote such a crappy show? "

I won't claim that it was a great show. It clearly had score and and perhaps casting problems, and did have a tendency to go for a cheap joke or a cutesy character (trying to match the movie). The book was a bit too slavishly copied from the movie, making it less standalone and sometimes confusing for those who haven't seen the film (Danny Rubin did much better on this count in the Groundhog adaptation).  I still don't think it deserved to be the first post Tony nomination casualty. I've certainly seen much worse that has survived on Broadway (almost any ALW in my personal view). There's even worse from this season on Broadway now, but I won't name names (cough cough Charlie cough cough)

Updated On: 5/22/17 at 12:17 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#158AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/22/17 at 10:52am

If you can't lure people into buying tickets, then it "deserves" to close.   

It's always disappointing for the cast, crew and even the producers when their show flops....but it IS the nature of the beast.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Videos