News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

AMELIE to close on May 21- Page 4

AMELIE to close on May 21

Liza's Headband
#75AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/5/17 at 12:28pm

I would argue social media presence means little, if anything, with respect to being "known."  There are YouTube vloggers, for example, who have millions of subscribers but would never be considered well-known or part of mainstream consciousness.  

froote
#76AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/5/17 at 12:30pm

Yes which is why I wasn't arguing that she is known on a general level but for a theatre actor in her 20s, just as a YouTuber with millions of followers would be well known for a YouTuber. Theatre actors don't just get hundreds of thousands of followers out of nowhere. Can we stop going round in circles now?

Updated On: 5/5/17 at 12:30 PM

froote
#77AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/5/17 at 12:32pm

Liza's Headband
#78AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/5/17 at 12:34pm

Why do you keep going back to edit and expand your posts after publishing?  surprise

froote
#79AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/5/17 at 12:36pm

Is editing your posts not allowed?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#80AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/5/17 at 1:27pm

Not sure how many Twitter followers I have, but I'm going to Amelie tonight...

froote
#81AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/5/17 at 1:40pm

Maybe they'll let you play the part in a bid to increase ticket sales AMELIE to close on May 21

Enjoy!

brian1973
#82AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/5/17 at 1:49pm

Just listened to the two released songs, no wonder it's closing, what insipid dull songs. Sounds like The very worst kind of new musical, simpering and bland.

good job it's closing.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#83AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/5/17 at 5:04pm

Let's not be naive, outside of the Hamilton Tumblr Obsessives and theatre devotees, no one has any clue who Philippa Soo is.

I think the Today show appearance was telling, they basically immediately asked her what it was like to be a part of the Hamilton phenomenon rather than Amelie.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

theaterguy11 Profile Photo
theaterguy11
#84AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/5/17 at 6:46pm

If the show was only playing to get awards than good riddance. It's totally ridiculous that shows will open right before the deadline and then close if they get no nominations or wins. At least pretend you were producing the show for something other than trophies. 

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#85AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/5/17 at 7:16pm

You don't get how this works, do you?

jimmycurry01
#86AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/5/17 at 7:19pm

theaterguy11 said: "If the show was only playing to get awards than good riddance. It's totally ridiculous that shows will open right before the deadline and then close if they get no nominations or wins. At least pretend you were producing the show for something other than trophies. 

"

A Tony is a big publicity opportunity for a show. There is no guarantee that a show will sell enough tickets to last more than a few months, that is why a considerable number of shows wait to open until shortly before the Tonys. Amelie isn't closing because it isn't winning any trophies; Amelie is closing because it hasn't been selling well. It will not get any additional sales that winning a Tony might have brought in, so staying open and losing money isn't worth it.

theaterguy11
#87AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/5/17 at 7:32pm

I know thats what they say, but ratings for the Tony Awards are pretty small and the vast majority of that audience already is aware of what shows are playing/what is good. Perhaps it was more true in the early 2000's that Tony Awards gave shows Box office bumps, but is there any recent evidence that Tony's have helped any show? 

theaterguy11
#88AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/5/17 at 7:35pm

It also seems that more and more the nominating committee is skeptical of the shows that open right at the deadline. They seem to be rewarding shows that have braved the fall or early spring lately. 

Perhaps shows should work harder at creating marketing strategies that do not involve the Tony Awards. 

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#89AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/5/17 at 7:47pm

I love the movie, so I wasn't too keen on exposing myself to the musical version. I just saw the trailer and the Today Show performance, and no wonder people didn't like it. It has that generic Broadway musicals of the 2010 sound that really does not fit the source material. In fact it works against what made the movie so well-liked in the first place. I mean the character of Amelie self-proclaiming herself as a dreamer was already a sign the creative team was misstepping from the get-go. The writing, staging, choreography, facial expressions of the dancers, and "acting" of the blind man number was so bad and overblown in every way possible and something people would make if they were making fun of needless staged musical adaptations of movies.

I think after hearing the music of this show, people would rather listen to the memorable, superior film score on their headphones than see this show. The way I feel about this is probably how people felt about that Doctor Zhivago musical years ago where they tacked on "Laura's Theme" at the last minute out of desperation. A musical of a film won't work if the film already has a great score that the potential audience is already familiar with that's simply better than anything you're making in the musical. I bet if they just added insipid, needless lyrics and dance sequences to the film score, people would have been much happier with it even if it would have closed anyway.

Updated On: 5/5/17 at 07:47 PM

ccbway
#90AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/5/17 at 8:13pm

Speaking of shows closing, does anyone know what the mechanics are of actually having a show close "early" like this?   Do any advance ticket sales sold for past the closing date get refunded?   What happens to the theatre space itself?  Did they have an agreement to stay in the theatre for a certain amount of time?  Does the theatre just sit empty until they can sign a new show?

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#91AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/5/17 at 8:18pm

theaterguy11 said: "I know thats what they say, but ratings for the Tony Awards are pretty small and the vast majority of that audience already is aware of what shows are playing/what is good. Perhaps it was more true in the early 2000's that Tony Awards gave shows Box office bumps, but is there any recent evidence that Tony's have helped any show? 

"

Truth!

leighmiserables  Profile Photo
leighmiserables
#92AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/5/17 at 8:18pm

MyLife said: "
"Could be like when Brian d'Arcy James returned to N2N on Bway after doing it Off... 

Also, I'm hoping Adam gets another job soon. He's such a sweet guy and I'm always pulling for him to do well. 
"

Or like when Brian d'Arcy James returned to Hamilton on Bway after doing it Off... AMELIE to close on May 21

"

Good point, haha. Brian gets around.

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#93AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/5/17 at 8:19pm

theaterguy11 said: "It also seems that more and more the nominating committee is skeptical of the shows that open right at the deadline. They seem to be rewarding shows that have braved the fall or early spring lately. 

Perhaps shows should work harder at creating marketing strategies that do not involve the Tony Awards. 

"

This could not be more true! 

carnzee
#94AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/5/17 at 8:24pm

theaterguy11 said: "I know thats what they say, but ratings for the Tony Awards are pretty small and the vast majority of that audience already is aware of what shows are playing/what is good. Perhaps it was more true in the early 2000's that Tony Awards gave shows Box office bumps, but is there any recent evidence that Tony's have helped any show? 

Gentleman's Guide . Their grosses started going up after nominations and went way up after their win. Even if people don't watch the Tonys, they are impressed with the BEST MUSICAL on the ads. 

Updated On: 5/5/17 at 08:24 PM

leighmiserables  Profile Photo
leighmiserables
#95AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/5/17 at 8:32pm

carnzee said: "theaterguy11 said: "I know thats what they say, but ratings for the Tony Awards are pretty small and the vast majority of that audience already is aware of what shows are playing/what is good. Perhaps it was more true in the early 2000's that Tony Awards gave shows Box office bumps, but is there any recent evidence that Tony's have helped any show? 

Gentleman's Guide . Their grosses started going up after nominations and went way up after their win. Even if people don't watch the Tonys, they are impressed with the BEST MUSICAL on the ads. 

"

While I am on the "Tony noms definitely help" train, I do think it's important to note that Gentleman's Guide had a pretty limited bump; it only lasted from the Tonys through to the end of the year. Granted, that's six months longer than they would have ran if they had got less noms, but it seems it's not a perfect long-term box office increase solution.

Same thing happened with Fun Home. They opened right before Tonys to decent grosses, blew up for about four to five months after the Tonys, then almost immediately started dropping to 60% weekly gross and eventually less. (This info is taken from the BroadwayWorld reports btw). 

Basically, I think my point is that a show has to be doing well already for the Tonys to help them long-term. Out of the Best Musical noms, I think the only one it would really help to win is Great Comet, because it's already doing pretty well at box office and they also need something to advert once Josh is gone. 

Updated On: 5/5/17 at 08:32 PM

Hamiltrash and nerdy2
#96AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/5/17 at 9:29pm

It didn't close yet. You have 2 weeks

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#97AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/5/17 at 9:33pm

^ as demonstrated by the thread title I think we know that.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Hamiltrash and nerdy2
#98AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/5/17 at 9:47pm

What do you think Phillipa will do after this? Maybe back to Great Comet after Denee Benton leaves? I think it is unlikely but does anyone think she would come back to Hamilton?

Updated On: 5/5/17 at 09:47 PM

ccbway
#99AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/5/17 at 10:22pm

Hamiltrash and nerdy2 said: "What do you think Phillipa will do after this? Maybe back to Great Comet after Denee Benton leaves? I think it is unlikely but does anyone think she would come back to Hamilton?

"

I find it unlikely that she would go back to either show.  I would think that the reason why she chose to do Amelie was to be the lead of a musical.  Both the Hamilton role and the Great Comet role are really smaller, supporting roles.  I don't think she would want to take that kind of step backwards, career-wise.

Videos