News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

AMELIE to close on May 21

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#1AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/4/17 at 7:03pm

Not to be mean, but that was quick.

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/188127/amelie-starring-phillipa-soo-adam-chanler-berat-will-end-its-broadway-run/

Updated On: 5/4/17 at 07:03 PM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#2AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/4/17 at 7:11pm

How is that mean?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#3AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/4/17 at 7:14pm

It was mean because the show was very average (ba-dum ching).

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#4AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/4/17 at 7:16pm

Hopefully Pippa can get another role and quick too! I wonder if something will take the Kerr over the summer or if will stay empty until the fall. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#5AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/4/17 at 7:17pm

After I saw this in LA I was attacked on this board for complaining that the show didn't have any catchy songs in it. Now it's closing. My best to the cast and crew- some very talented players in there. 

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#6AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/4/17 at 7:25pm

emo_geek said: "After I saw this in LA I was attacked on this board for complaining that the show didn't have any catchy songs in it. Now it's closing."

ok...?

Willie4316
#7AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/4/17 at 7:26pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Hopefully Pippa can get another role and quick too! I wonder if something will take the Kerr over the summer or if will stay empty until the fall. "

Perhaps Once On This Island? I've never seen the show so I'm not sure how big the set is though. 

As for Pippa, perhaps a return to Hamilton or maybe even Comet depending on the Tony results and when Denees contract ends?

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#8AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/4/17 at 7:27pm

Not surprised. This and Charlie were easily the two worst things I saw this season.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#9AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/4/17 at 7:30pm

emo_geek said: "After I saw this in LA I was attacked on this board for complaining that the show didn't have any catchy songs in it. Now it's closing."

Because a show can be good without having songs that are "catchy"?

froote
#10AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/4/17 at 7:31pm

Rest assured, Phillipa will not be returning to Hamilton.

Maybe Comet if she wants the chance to be a part of the Broadway production. If not, she will wait for something new. 

Updated On: 5/4/17 at 07:31 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#11AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/4/17 at 7:33pm

Eliza Doolittle, My Fair Lady.

Theatre gods, make it happen.

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#12AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/4/17 at 7:34pm

She would also make a stunning Carrie in Carousel... 

DamienV123
#13AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/4/17 at 7:40pm

Times are hard for dreamers.

Robert16 Profile Photo
Robert16
#14AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/4/17 at 7:45pm

Wish it had closed before I saw it 

reginula Profile Photo
reginula
#15AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/4/17 at 7:45pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Eliza Doolittle, My Fair Lady.

"

TAKE MY MONEEEY

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#16AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/4/17 at 7:46pm

Soo as Eliza?  I like that.

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#17AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/4/17 at 7:59pm

I hope she auditions for My Fair Lady.  I would be happy to see her play Eliza (even I'm still praying for Sher to cast Benanti).

I don't think she'll have a hard time finding work.  She's an incredible talent with the Hamilton name behind her.

A Canadian in NYC Profile Photo
A Canadian in NYC
#18AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/4/17 at 8:12pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Eliza Doolittle, My Fair Lady.

She'd be great! So would Laura Benanti though too!!"

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#19AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/4/17 at 8:13pm

I feel bad for Soo. She's so talented! Had she gone back to The Great Comet, it's almost certain she would have at least gotten a nomination.

BroadwayBaby4
#20AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/4/17 at 8:17pm

I might be the only one who thinks this, but I actually liked Amelie and am sad to see it go. While it wasn't anything groundbreaking, it was a fun break from real life.  

Would love to see Philippa back in Great Comet, but I'm sure she'll be onto something new. She definitely is talented enough to land another great role. 

Zimmy Profile Photo
Zimmy
#21AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/4/17 at 8:26pm

Robert16 said: "Wish it had closed before I saw it "

This literally made me LOL

leighmiserables  Profile Photo
leighmiserables
#22AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/4/17 at 8:35pm

froote said: "Rest assured, Phillipa will not be returning to Hamilton.

Maybe Comet if she wants the chance to be a part of the Broadway production. If not, she will wait for something new. 

"

Could be like when Brian d'Arcy James returned to N2N on Bway after doing it Off... 

Also, I'm hoping Adam gets another job soon. He's such a sweet guy and I'm always pulling for him to do well. 

hork Profile Photo
hork
#23AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/4/17 at 8:40pm

I saw it in L.A. I never mentioned it or took part in discussions on here because I had absolutely nothing to say about it. It started to fade from my memory at the curtain call.

JustAnotherNewYorker
#24AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/4/17 at 8:47pm

Odds that the 21st will be on tdf?

It may be morbid, but I like both openings and closings

Alex Kulak2
#25AMELIE to close on May 21
Posted: 5/4/17 at 8:48pm

Oh damn, that was fast.

Videos