News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

A New Brain

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#0A New Brain
Posted: 1/27/05 at 10:29pm

i cant seem to find a synopsis anywhere, any help?

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

Gothampc
#1re: A New Brain
Posted: 1/27/05 at 10:42pm

William Finn had an inoperable brain tumor and the story is based on his experience of living and going through the operation and recovery.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#2re: A New Brain
Posted: 1/27/05 at 10:43pm

oh. cool?

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

Gothampc
#3re: A New Brain
Posted: 1/27/05 at 10:50pm

Think of it more like a song cycle rather than an actual musical.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

LetMeLeave
#4re: A New Brain
Posted: 1/27/05 at 10:55pm

I love 'Heart and Music'

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#5re: A New Brain
Posted: 1/27/05 at 10:57pm

oooh. gotcha, sorta.

VeuveClicquot Profile Photo
VeuveClicquot
#6re: A New Brain
Posted: 1/27/05 at 10:58pm

I disagree with Gotham's "song cycle" comment -- of all the William Finn musicals, A NEW BRAIN has the most specific timeline and story. There's a definite beginning (his discovery of his ailment), a middle (his hospital experiences), and an end (his recovery).

La Vie Boheme
#7re: A New Brain
Posted: 1/28/05 at 1:02am

I'd rather be sailing...

Dirty Rotten Scoundrals Program: $10 Dirty Rotten Scoundrals Window Poster: $15 Winning the lottery with your friend: Priceless (+ $25) I<3NY

DancerGirl16 Profile Photo
DancerGirl16
#8re: A New Brain
Posted: 1/28/05 at 8:14am

I LOVE "Sailing", "The Spring Song" and "Heart and Music"

My best friend bought me the cd and told me it reminded her of our life story....

LOL!

I LOVE A NEW BRAIN!

When someone blunders, we say that he makes a misstep. Is it then not clear that all the ills of mankind, all the tragic misfortunes that fill our history books, all the political blunders, all the failures of the great leaders have arisen merely from a lack of skill in dancing. - Moliere

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#9re: A New Brain
Posted: 1/28/05 at 8:21am

So who is Mr. Bungee supposed to be?

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

vivalaviekelly Profile Photo
vivalaviekelly
#10re: A New Brain
Posted: 1/28/05 at 9:37am

I believe Mr. Bungee is supposed to be his boss who has a childrens show....probably why he is dressed as a frog the entire musical.

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#11re: A New Brain
Posted: 1/28/05 at 9:45am

I know who he is in the show...Who is he supposed to be in real life?

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

stagehand
#12re: A New Brain

I love "I'd Rather be Sailing".

Jon
#13re: A New Brain

Bungee actually has three different personae: The cheery kiddie show frog (on television), the cranky, demanding, middle-aged man who is Gordon's boss (in real life), and the evil "Anti-Jiminy Cricket" voice in Gordon's dreams that torments him with lines like "You are not successful - your sister is a whore!"

Jwaa
#14re: A New Brain
Posted: 1/28/05 at 11:11am

I deeply disagree with the 'song cycle' comment.

It is slightly autobiographical but not to actual detail and there is a definate story.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#15re: A New Brain
Posted: 1/28/05 at 9:15pm

"A New Brain" is the story of Gordon Schwinn (Malcolm Gets), a struggling gay musical theatre composer that is currently writing music for the children's show "Mr. Bungee's Lily Pad". He hates his job, and can't finish a song. During lunch with Rhoda (Liz Larsen, who's wonderful), an executive, he collapses into a plate of ziti and is rushed to NYU medical center. There, he is joined by his boyfriend, Roger (Norm Lewis on the recording, Christopher Innvar in the original production), and his mother (Penny Fuller, in the performance of his career). Gordo is diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor, and the prosepects look grim. This story is also populated by a colorful homeless woman (Mary Testa); two nurses, one of which is played by a young Kristin Chenoweth; and Mr. Bungee himself, hilariously played by Chip Zien. Gorgeous and heartfelt, this is without a doubt William Finn's best and most accomplished score. Standout tracks include "Sailing", "And They're Off", "Change", "Throw it Out", and the chillingly beautiful ballad "The Music Still Plays On", sung with incredible poise by Ms. Fuller. The OBC recording is a must own!

Jon
#16re: A New Brain
Posted: 1/29/05 at 12:45am

As to the question of who the real-life counterpart of Mr. Bungee would be: William Finn never wrote for a kiddie show, but he did write songs for several children's animated videos. I guess Bungee represents the typical jerky boss at a job you hate doing!

KateMusic Profile Photo
KateMusic
#17re: A New Brain
Posted: 1/29/05 at 12:47am

I love the song "And They're Off."

Malcolm Gets is amazing.

Some people analyze every detail/ Some people stall when they can't see the trail/ Some people freeze out of fear that they'll fail/ But I keep rollin' on/ Some people can't get success with their art/ Some people never feel love in their heart/ Some people can't tell the two things apart/ But I keep rollin' on

apdarcey
#18re: A New Brain
Posted: 1/29/05 at 2:20am

the show is sung through... so the cd is the story... there are only a few minor parts left out... otherwise you can find it at www.falsettos.net

staticradar Profile Photo
staticradar
#19re: A New Brain
Posted: 1/29/05 at 2:49am

A new brain is one of my favorite musicals. It's an amazing heartwrenching story and gives you a wide array of emotions throughout. Malcolm Gets is a god and I adore him. His voice and acting are phenominal!

You're always sorry, You're always grateful, You hold her, thinking: "I'm not alone." You're still alone.
-"Sorry-Grateful" Company

WISHIHADATONY Profile Photo
WISHIHADATONY
#20re: A New Brain
Posted: 1/29/05 at 1:44pm

I loved A NEW BRAIN and the cd is highly addictive.

"Blow out the candles Robert and make a wish. Want something, want SOMETHING."

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#21re: A New Brain
Posted: 1/29/05 at 2:13pm

To let younow, the story is not based on Finn's life. It's somewhat autobiographic (does Finn write anything that's NOT?), but in a different way. Finn was falsely diagnosed with a brain tumor. He never had to go through the procedure or anything, so the story was inspired by his wrong diagnosis. But (I'm assuming), the show is based highly on things in his life such as his mother, his lover, his boss, etc. It's a really amazing show.

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

BwayTheatre11
#22re: A New Brain
Posted: 1/29/05 at 2:29pm

GREAT show.

CCM '10!

Videos