News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

2017 TONY Awards Performances- Page 2

2017 TONY Awards Performances

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#252017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 3/27/17 at 1:55pm

I think the most likely thing to happen with Sunday in the Park with George at the Tonys is Jake Gyllenhaal presenting Lead Actress in a Musical.

Rainah
#262017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 3/27/17 at 4:21pm

Ideally:

Anastasia - Journey to the Past
Come From Away - Welcome to the Rock (Unless they aren't nominated for Best Musical, then possibly Me and the Sky to put everything on Jen)
Dear Evan Hansen - Waving Through a Window
Natasha Pierre, & the Great Comet of 1812 - I'd love to see Letters, it's a stronger number than the Prologue and drives home a lot of conflict within the show without giving the plot away. A lovely solo for Groban, the conflict, Denee's incredible acting (God she sold that bit when I saw it live) and Lucas' high notes.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#272017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 3/27/17 at 4:55pm

I'd like to see Comet do "Balaga" too. Denee and Josh are still involved in it and it's such a showstopper.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Jarethan
#282017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 3/27/17 at 5:09pm

Wilmingtom said: "I think Jeffrey's list is pretty much dead on.  But is "The Heat Is On" a bit too raunchy for broadcast?  Absolutely "Hello, Dolly!" which stops the show every night.  Lead with your strong suit and put the title of your show out there.  It's impossible to predict "Chocolate Factory" until we've seen it but I would think a number featuring Borle and the children.  And wouldn't it be fun to have non-nominees Close and Gyllenhaal as the hosts?  Maybe they could do a little mashup of "As If We Never Said Goodbye" and "Finishing the Hat."

There is NO WAY they are going to do Hello Dolly title number on the show.  It has never been on TV to my knowledge.  It has always seemed to be Before the Parade Passes By. Would love So Long, Dearie...but just can't see them not having a production number.  Would love Sunday Clothes, but suspect it will be Parade.

SeattleTraveler
#292017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 3/27/17 at 10:24pm

I'll be really surprised if Come From Away is anything but Welcome to the Rock. Me and the Sky is a (wonderful) solo in an otherwise ensemble show. I think Screech In is too happy. Prayer is probably too "down". Neither would be a great representation of the show. I think it has to be Welcome to the Rock.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#302017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 3/27/17 at 11:37pm

Agreed, Me and the Sky doesn't represent about 98% of the show.  It's an ensemble show and they'll do an ensemble number.

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#312017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 3/28/17 at 12:24am

"Balaga" or "Letters" would be fun for GREAT COMET, but my dream would be a performance of "The Duel" since that would be a real trip! Any of those three would sell the show well, and all three feature Josh and Lucas. I'd also love DEAR EVAN HANSEN to do "You Will Be Found." 

I think ANASTASIA's performance depends on acting nominations. Either "Journey To The Past" or they'll opt for a group number like "Paris Holds The Key To Your Heart." I doubt MISS SAIGON would do anything but "The American Dream," or that SUNSET would do anything but "As If We Never Said Goodbye."

What about WAR PAINT?

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

brdwybound04
#322017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 3/28/17 at 9:49am

I saw War Paint last year in Chicago... "Pijk" was my favorite song... I'm guessing they'll do a mash up of that song and Patti's big 11 0'clock number... I can't remember what song Rubenstein sings towards the end of Act 2...?

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#332017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 3/28/17 at 10:22am

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "I think the producers of Hello, Dolly! would more like to showcase Bette Midler. Plus, if a show has multiple acting nominees, they don't need to showcase every single one of them."

I can see that. However, if Hello Dolly! Is already sold out through Jan 14th by the time the Tony's is aired, it may be better to showcase an ensemble piece rather than Bette (presuming the producers want this revival to still be open after Bette leaves in Jan 2018.)

i did some research and actually Hello Dolly! has only performed once on the Tony Awards back in 1968 starring Pearl Bailey. It seems like 1967 was the first time musicals performed a song or medley at the Tonys. Also, best Revival of a musical award started in 1994. When Hello Dolly was revived back in fall 1995, it closed Jan 1996 so they didn't perform at the 1996 Tony's.

so back in 1968, Hello Dolly! performed Sunday Clothes and So Long Dearie.

Butter Broadway Profile Photo
Butter Broadway
#342017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 3/28/17 at 10:54am

What about Groundhog Day? Or Chocolate Factory?

woeisme3
#352017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 3/28/17 at 11:18am

What about WAR PAINT?

"

I think they'll do Face to Facs- showcases both and is a showstopper.

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#362017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 3/28/17 at 4:32pm

While Josh won't be with the show any more I still expect him to be heavily featured on the telecast. I expect they will do the prologue into Dust and Ashes. It just makes the most sense. However, I too would love to see them do Balaga or The Duel. I want to see them show off the staging as much as they can. Dear Evan Hansen will do You Will Be Found. Face to Face is a smart choice for War Paint if they perform. I think if Gavin gets a nom as well they'd opt to do Sunday Clothes. An I am in agreement with everyone else that the obvious choice for Miss Saigon is The American Dream. 

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#372017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 3/28/17 at 4:50pm

Theatreboy49 said: "While Josh won't be with the show any more I still expect him to be heavily featured on the telecast. I expect they will do the prologue into Dust and Ashes. It just makes the most sense."

He'll be in it - his last day is July 2. I like your idea.

broadwaygirl10
#382017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 3/28/17 at 5:09pm

I'd say these are the show that'll fill the ten slots. * for nominees

1. Come From Away* (Welcome to the Rock),
  2. Anastasia* (Journey to the Past),
  3. Dear Evan Hansen* (You will be found),
  4. Great Comet* (Prolouge into Balaga dance break cause that'd be LIT),
  5. A Bronx Tale* (Belmont Avenue or whatever that song is called),
  6. Groundhog Day (i don't know enough songs from this),  
  7. Miss Saigon* (American Dream),
  8. Hello Dolly*(Hello Dolly or Sunday Clothes),
  9. Sunset BLVD* (As if we never said goodbye), according to riedel close is in talks for this
  10. Sunday (Sunday in the Park or Sunday)

Butter Broadway
#392017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 3/28/17 at 5:57pm

Anyone think Cats will perform? Or Bandstand? 

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#402017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 3/28/17 at 6:57pm

I think Cats will perform. As for Bandstand, it would have to depend on if it will still be running on June 11th.

Butter Broadway
#412017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 3/28/17 at 8:15pm

Is it selling well?

ozjust4 Profile Photo
ozjust4
#422017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 3/28/17 at 8:54pm

If Amelie doesn't perform, all the 12 year old roleplayers on Instagram will lose their mind.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#432017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 3/28/17 at 8:57pm

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "As for Bandstand, it would have to depend on if it will still be running on June 11th."

Not that this is a bona fide indicator of anything, but I'd like to point out that a number of spring shows this season so far (AnastasiaCome from AwayCharlie...Factory) went into their first preview with sold-out audiences. I'm looking at Bandstand tickets for their first preview in a couple of days right now, and there are plenty of seats still available.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#442017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 3/28/17 at 8:59pm

It's likely COME FROM AWAY will perform "Welcome to the Rock". Unless they decide on "Heave Away/Screech In". Anything else will reveal too much about what happens to certain characters or doesn't describe the show enough.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

stlrod
#452017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 3/28/17 at 10:22pm

I hope Come From Away performs Heave Away/Screech In.  We've seen Welcome to the Rock enough and Me and the Sky one of my favorites.

pupscotch
#462017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 3/28/17 at 10:30pm

stlrod said: "I hope Come From Away performs Heave Away/Screech In.  We've seen Welcome to the Rock enough and Me and the Sky one of my favorites.

"

I feel like they haven't performed Welcome to the Rock that much. Not as exhaustively as Dear Evan Hansen has performed Waving Through a Window, for sure. 

And as a response to another above poster, as much as I'd love them to, I highly doubt Sunday will perform at all. I think that slot will be taken by Cats, and in my dreams, it's Stephanie J. Block singing I'm Breaking Down.

Butter Broadway
#472017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 3/28/17 at 10:53pm

Where have they performed Waving Through a Window?

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#482017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 3/29/17 at 9:02am

Butter Broadway said: "Where have they performed Waving Through a Window?

"

At the TODAY show (where they also sang "Only Us"2017 TONY Awards Performances and at the Obie awards

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#492017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 3/29/17 at 9:11am

Come From Away should definitely do Screech In.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Videos