News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

2017 TONY Awards Performances- Page 14

2017 TONY Awards Performances

the.hard.part Profile Photo
the.hard.part
#3252017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 12:09pm

Come From Away rehearsal
https://i.redd.it/566gxa7kcm2z.jpg Updated On: 6/9/17 at 12:09 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#3262017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 12:36pm

Just wish COME FROM AWAY would announce what they're doing.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

froote
#3272017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 12:40pm

Seems like the Anastasia thing isn't specific to their show:

https://twitter.com/thetonyawards/status/873208167718584320

hellobroadway
#3282017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 12:41pm

Is there ANY chance that this whole "Penny In My Pocket" thing could just be a big tease? It's performed in front of a curtain, so is there any possibility that after his song is done the curtain will rise to reveal Bette doing the title number?

EvanK Profile Photo
EvanK
#3292017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 1:12pm

hellobroadway said: "Is there ANY chance that this whole "Penny In My Pocket" thing could just be a big tease? It's performed in front of a curtain, so is there any possibility that after his song is done the curtain will rise to reveal Bette doing the title number?

"

Still holding out hope.... 

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#3302017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 1:20pm

I bet most people watching will be holding on to the glimmer of hope that the curtain will rise to reveal Bette and the waiters while DHP is performing, thus not really paying full attention to "Penny in my Pocket".

If we had a biting comedian hosting the awards, you know they'd have so much material over this. Alas...another missed opportunity.

JennH
#3312017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 4:05pm

froote said: "It says they're going live at 1PM so it wont be during the show.

"

Yeah I'm still trying to figure that one out...are they just doing their own thing apart form the actual awards show?

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#3322017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 4:19pm

I'm curious how they're going to explain the headscratcher of Penny In My Pocket to the fans watching the Tonys who are expecting to see Bette and haven't been following passerelle-gate. 

PurpleSummerHathaway Profile Photo
PurpleSummerHathaway
#3332017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 4:32pm

JudyDenmark said: "I'm curious how they're going to explain the headscratcher of Penny In My Pocket to the fans watching the Tonys who are expecting to see Bette and haven't been following passerelle-gate. 

"Lol passerelle-gate 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#3342017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 5:48pm

hellobroadway said: "Is there ANY chance that this whole "Penny In My Pocket" thing could just be a big tease? It's performed in front of a curtain, so is there any possibility that after his song is done the curtain will rise to reveal Bette doing the title number?

"Imagine...but the producers of the TONYS don't think creatively in that manner

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#3352017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 6:01pm

Short of absolutely having everyone involved sign an NDA in blood, there will be no "Bette" surprise...not happening; CBS would promote the hell out of that if it was going to happen.

As for the Anastasia FB thing, maybe they are trying to do something nice for Mary Beth Peil if she wins. (We do still have some nice people around here).

Still, just so happy that Patti and Christine are performing.

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#3362017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 6:06pm

I want a Carlotta gif saying "will she sing? will she sing?" and paste it next to a picture of Bette Midler.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Cfried
#3372017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 6:09pm

Corey Cott's Instagram story seems to suggest Bandstand will be performing "Nobody" from the chair and drum in the corner of the picture. 

Updated On: 6/9/17 at 06:09 PM

mufish
#3382017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 6:15pm

ACL2006 said: "Just wish COME FROM AWAY would announce what they're doing."

Same here!  Every appearance I've seen they've done "Welcome to the Rock" which is great but I'd like to see them bust out something different.  If the plan is to segue into "Me and the Sky" I'd think they might have to do something else, as "Rock" leading to that would be strange out of context - although they could always reverse it like Pippin did a few years back, continuity be damned.

HSky
#3392017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 6:23pm

I think CFA is doing "Welcome to the Rock" (or I suppose it's not completely out of the realm to do a snippet of the "Finale" if a medley were involved?).

Chad Kimball posted a photo of Jenn Colella sitting at a table during rehearsal last night and there's a teleprompter visible in the background. Although fuzzy, I'm pretty certain that's part of Joel Hatch's lines ("On the northeast tip of North America on an island called" )

Updated On: 6/9/17 at 06:23 PM

EvanK Profile Photo
EvanK
#3402017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 6:23pm

I mean, the photo of Jenn at rehearsal made it look like she was in position for Me and the Sky. I would assume they'll do a group number with a transition into Me and the Sky.

HSky
#3412017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 6:44pm

It looked more to me like she was resting on the chair where Caesar Samayoa usually sits.

Based off Gerard Canonico's Instagram story showing the Groundhog Day crew getting their microphones backstage while Great Comet rehearsed, Great Comet's performance will include "The Abduction." You can hear them singing "Goodbye, my Gypsy lover..."

bryan32
#3422017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 10:06pm

I wish catcf was perform it would be cool to see it

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#3432017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 11:29pm

ljay889 said: "Riedel confirmed that War Paint is performing. Presumably, they will perform "Face to Face."

"I predict this will be the best performance of the night...Can't wait for this!

2017 TONY Awards Performances

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#3442017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 11:52pm

From Jordan Roth's Instagram story today...It seems that Falsettos is doing "A Day in Falsettoland" I'd imagined a much shorter version. So heppy Betsy and Tracy will get to perform!

JudyDenmark
#3452017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/10/17 at 12:09am

Steve C. said: "Short of absolutely having everyone involved sign an NDA in blood, there will be no "Bette" surprise...not happening; CBS would promote the hell out of that if it was going to happen."

Obviously nothing's happening on the Radio City stage because it would've leaked from the rehearsals by now. But...(this is my Hail Mary) maybe DHP will do a verse of Penny in My Pocket and then kick it over to "live from the Shubert!" I know I'm wrong, because you're right about CBS promoting it, but I still just cannot believe that they are representing that lavish show with Penny in My Pocket. It's just so weird.

bear88
#3462017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/10/17 at 12:55am

Hmm. Everyone has been assuming Great Comet will do a medley, but couldn't they just do a slightly shorter version of "The Abduction," the first five minutes? They might try to do something to include Denee Benton, but the song features the two male nominees, the ensemble, and a whole lot of energetic dancing and fun. It would be a Hamilton type of approach, showcasing the show as the star.

Given the effort being made to recreate, as much as possible, the setting and the inclusion of the extras, it wouldn't make much sense to do all that for a couple minutes of a dance number and then segue into a truncated ballad. And an extra consideration: Like Hamilton, the big star is leaving in a few weeks. A Josh Groban-as-Pierre ballad kind of works against the musical's long-term hopes. The Great Comet producers don't mind using Groban's star power, but they should want the TV viewers' takeaway to be: That show looks and sounds really fun! I want to see that, Groban or no Groban.

JudyDenmark
#3472017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/10/17 at 1:14am

@bear88, that NYT article about Bette not performing mentioned that Great Comet would be doing a medley of something featuring Josh Groban, and something featuring the whole cast. 

bear88
#3482017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/10/17 at 3:20am

I was originally thinking of something like "Balaga" and "Dust and Ashes." But if it's going to be "The Abduction," Josh Groban has a prominent role in that. I still remain skeptical of a medley, because I just think it will have to be chopped up into little bits that won't do justice to the songs they pick. Even the biggest hit shows get six minutes max, and usually less. 

If they're really going to stick with the no-Midler plan, I guess the Tonys could lead off with a tweaked version of Comet's "Prologue," adding the lyrics, "And Dolly isn't here." 

More seriously, I do think everyone is going to look bad if David Hyde Pierce is trotted out to sing "Penny in My Pocket." The Tony show will be blamed. Bette Midler will be blamed. Scott Rudin will be blamed. Hello, Dolly will disappoint fans and curious folks who just want to get an idea of what the fuss is about. And DHP, who seems like a consummate professional, will get stuck in a terrible position, singing a song no one knows or cares about as the sole representative of the season's biggest musical revival. Part of me just can't believe that everyone would be so shortsighted and stubborn, but I undoubtedly don't know showbiz well enough.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#3492017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/10/17 at 5:56am

If I was a Tony producer, and had to deal with Rudin's antics and was petty as hell, I would have tried to get a younger celebrity in good voice and physical energy and charisma recreate and adapt the title song of "Hello Dolly!" with some of the finest Broadway dancers who are not otherwise performing on stage. I would have a recognizable name introduce the number and name all the great actresses who played the part and performed it at the Tonys in years past as well and emphasize what true Broadway icons they were.

I also would do what I could to minimize the current production's presence in the show even though I obviously can't control whether it wins any awards. I'd encourage camera cut aways to the audience during speeches and DHP's performance and make the host and presenters talk up the other revivals and new musicals and say less than the bare minimum about Hello Dolly! If at all. 

Of course if I was a producer I probably would have caved and let them do it at the Schubert and found some other way to get back at Scott Rudin and deal with the "precedent" set by my caving next season.

Updated On: 6/10/17 at 05:56 AM

Videos