News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

10 GREAT THINGS TO SAY ABOUT B-WAY TODAY- Page 15

10 GREAT THINGS TO SAY ABOUT B-WAY TODAY

BroadwayPer4mer03
#350re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: 10 GREAT THINGS ABOUT B-WAY TODAY
Posted: 2/15/04 at 4:59pm

1. WICKED
2. Idina Menzel
3. Kristin Chenoweth
4. Hairspray
5. Lion King
6. Adam Pascal,Nobert Leo But, Taye Diggs
7. Bernedette Peters
8. Sutton Foster
9. Throughly Modern Millie
10, the music, sets

#351re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: 10 GREAT THINGS ABOUT B-WAY TODAY
Posted: 2/15/04 at 7:17pm

1...sitting next to Jodie (asst. conductor for Hairspray Tour) as she conducted the final show here.
2...hearing Vukovich laughing on the side as the cast pulled out all the stops at the final Chicago show
3...Charlo crying and making all of us cry as she sang I KNOW WHERE I'VE BEEN at the final Chicago show.
4...getting to know the road company of Hairspray...both on-stagers and behind-the-sceners...
5...bittersweet emotions of seeing new-found friends continue to the next city
6...hearing the front rows amazement during the show
7...Doug Meyer's family making a HUGE long poster with holes cut out for them to stick their faces in the "wig spots" to say CHICAGO LOVES YOU AND WILL MISS YOU
8...Keala's "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaafro-tastic" bobblehead doll impersonation
9...Keala's hyperventilating as Tracy is about to kiss Link
10...The ENTIRE Hairspray tour company....Top to Bottom and back again...PURE JOY

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#352re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: 10 GREAT THINGS ABOUT B-WAY TODAY
Posted: 2/15/04 at 11:08pm

I,too was able to attend the performance today of HAIRSPRAY. It was one of the most enjoyable times I have spent it the theatre in a long time. If this tour comes anywhere near you GO. But do not wait till the last day to see it, because you will want to go back again. I could kick myself for waiting.

Carly Jibson's stand-by went on for her today and let me just stay that KEALA SETTLE was fantastic. I had heard her sing last week at the benefit and knew she would be great, but let me just say, why is this girl a freaking understudy? (I hear Carly is good, but I can not imagine a better Tracy.)

Do not miss this cast of extreemly talented people. Thanks you guys for rocking Chicago!

Oh, and Gentry Man, I am sure your seat was great, but I had an incredible one myself.

PEACE.
Updated On: 2/15/04 at 11:08 PM

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#353re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: 10 GREAT THINGS ABOUT B-WAY TODAY
Posted: 2/15/04 at 11:17pm

aww i shoulda gone!!!! o well! im kinda broke now...haha

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

StraightToHeaven
#354re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: 10 GREAT THINGS ABOUT B-WAY TODAY
Posted: 2/15/04 at 11:20pm

Keala is amazing!

I havn't done this thread yet

1.Rent (I saw it this weekend and it was amazing)
2.Matt Caplan (A great up and coming performer who I think has a great career ahead of him)
3.Kerry Butler
4.Wicked
5.Idina Menzel
6.Kristin Chenoweth
7.Hairspray
8.Little Shop of Horrors
9.Douglas Sills
10.Michelle Federer (her role in Wicked isn't that big but she is great!)

EddieVarley Profile Photo
EddieVarley
#355THE RETURN OF TEN GREAT THINGS!
Posted: 3/5/04 at 8:43am

I thought I'd revive this list to take us into the weekend!

1)The weather is warmer and it's bringing more tourists and theatergoers to the city, that's GREAT for biz.

2)The long running and popular musical hits are in the best shape they've been for years, Phantom is a revelation!

3)Let's hear it for the talented understudies, they are GREAT! Saw HAIRSPRAY Tuesday and was impressed with the very capable understudy performances of Brooke Tansley,Liz Larsen and Jennie Ford.

4)Assassins FINALLY makes it's move on Broadway!

5) The DIVINE Tony Walton will be presented with the Robert L.B.Tobin Award for Lifetime Achievement in Theatrical Design, he's the first recipient of this new honor. He is GREAT!

6)Backtracking to HAIRSPRAY can I just say that Joel Vig is BRILLIANT and also GREAT!

7)Alec Baldwin and Anne Heche are textbook wonderful in Twentieth Century, a perfectly scripted delight! Hecht and MacArthur ROCK!

THE RETURN OF TEN GREAT THINGS!The Studio Museum in Harlem is having an exhibition of the late Al Hirschfeld's Harlem portraits, if you can go, it's a thrill.

9)In addition to Christopher Plummer as Lear, Brent Carver is a member of the gifted cast in the role of Edgar, run see this actor, it's like a Master Class!

10)I don't care what anybody says, I'm excited to see Bombay Dreams again, I had a ton of fun viewing it in London, and speaking of a ton of fun, Happy Birthday to Mamma Mia!

See that wasn't hard, now DROP and give me TEN GREAT THINGS about BROADWAY, soldier!

EddieVarley
#356re: THE RETURN OF TEN GREAT THINGS!
Posted: 3/10/04 at 1:56pm

C'mon gang, somebody, anybody, drop and give me TEN GREAT THINGS!

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#358re: re: re: THE RETURN OF TEN GREAT THINGS!
Posted: 3/10/04 at 2:56pm

Never say I'm not there for you, Eddie!

Let's make this post KING, bitches!!!

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

EddieVarley
#359THE COMEBACK OF TEN GREAT THINGS!
Posted: 4/30/04 at 3:33pm

Can't we make this one last!

By the way I wanna thank Rob and Craig for doing all they do, this was an AMAZING Broadwayworld.Com week!

An Eveing with Marc and Scott on Monday

Mistress's Art Show on Wednesday

WICKED with jrb yesterday!

How wonderful new friendships are made, inspiration is found and our passion for the theater is stronger than ever!
And we have PICASSO next week with robbiej!

Now those are all GREAT THINGS!

nystateomind04 Profile Photo
nystateomind04
#360re: THE COMEBACK OF TEN GREAT THINGS!
Posted: 4/30/04 at 3:55pm

what a great thread,
and in no particular order...

1. rent- written by a stuggling, but still idealistic bohemian, and it is still runnning! YEA!
2. the producers- 100% broadway magic
3. avenu q- fun, fresh, and... fun re: THE COMEBACK OF TEN GREAT THINGS!
4. adam pascal- innovation of rock and broadway!
5. kristen chenoweth- absolute hillarity at the gershwin
6. heather headley- great voice, can't wait for her b-way return
7. stiff competition at the tony's, which means people are doing their jobs right
8. assassins- i havn't seen it yet, but it's by sondheim so im assuming its brilliant, and since it seems to be working, it means he can have more shows open in the future
9. caroline or change- havn't seen this one either, but it involves kushner, so what i said above applies
10. stars who do 8 shows a week, and those who dont and let understudies and standby's get a chance to shine
11. singing waiters at ellen's stardust dinner- haha, proof that there are always people waiting in the wings

JimVukovich Profile Photo
JimVukovich
#361re: re: THE COMEBACK OF TEN GREAT THINGS!
Posted: 4/30/04 at 4:47pm

Oh My God, this thread still lives!!!!!!!

#362re: re: re: THE COMEBACK OF TEN GREAT THINGS!
Posted: 4/30/04 at 5:22pm

wow im on a list of great things!

you shouldve told me you were seeing wicked! I wouldve come! Updated On: 4/30/04 at 05:22 PM

jo
#363re: re: re: re: THE COMEBACK OF TEN GREAT THINGS!
Posted: 4/30/04 at 7:28pm

From the eyes of an overseas fan ( who can come to see Broadway perhaps once a year) --

*The active online communities and chatterati who support Broadway all the way

*The Broadway events that are marked every year ( the Shubert Alley free concerts, the flea market, the Bryant Park shows, participation in Thanksgiving Day celebrations, the softball games in the park, etc) which gives one a feeling of how much a part of New York City Broadway really is.

*The charity drives which makes gift-giving ( through Broadway Cares events) such fun occasions.

*Only place where Hollywood stars feel there is more to acting than just being in front of a camera...And where Hugh Jackman, Antonio Banderas, Alec Baldwin, Liam Neeson, Vanessa Redgrave, Alan Cumming and other cinema stars showed their talents are indeed multi-faceted.

*Where in most shows, one is surprised to see so much talent, energy and dedication ( from the above-the-title lead to the chorus boys and girls).

*Where one finds quite a varied audience profile - but who all rise in standing ovation to appreciate excellent performance.

*Where the lowly looking stage door is the equivalent of the red carpet - but what a scene sometimes !

*Where people moan about ticket prices but see a show several times because of its artistic standards and entertainment value ( even if one has to scour all sources for the best discounts one can find in this deal-oriented town re: re: re: re: THE COMEBACK OF TEN GREAT THINGS!

*Where the feeling of community extends not just among cast, crew and creative teams - but also to the fans who support their favorite show ( The men and women of HAIRSPRAY, WICKED, RENT, SCARLET PIMPERNEL, GYPSY, MODERN MILLIE, etc...even the Oz-mates of THE BOY FROM OZ)

*Where one can gorge onself with several shows in a few days and still come out wanting to see more re: re: re: re: THE COMEBACK OF TEN GREAT THINGS!

Updated On: 4/30/04 at 07:28 PM

Jamie Hat Profile Photo
Jamie Hat
#364re: re: re: re: re: THE COMEBACK OF TEN GREAT THINGS!
Posted: 4/30/04 at 11:39pm

10) Sondheim getting good reviews
9) Broderick and Lane
re: re: re: re: re: THE COMEBACK OF TEN GREAT THINGS! Jack O'Brien
7) Princeton and Rod
6) Joe Mantello
5) EC/BFA
4) The Act I closer and 11 o'clock # of Wicked
3) Jason Robert Brown (although currently on B'way hiatus
2) Hugh Jackman
1) The cast of Assassins

Great post. Thanks.

shira467 Profile Photo
shira467
#365re: re: re: re: re: re: THE COMEBACK OF TEN GREAT THINGS!
Posted: 5/1/04 at 1:27am

This thread is unbelievable. Here's my list...

1) Wicked - for bringing together such awesome talents on one stage, from acting to crew to sets to music. I believe it speaks well for the next generation of theater goers.
2) Hairspray - for finally giving a leading role to a girl who ain't a size 2.
3) BC/EFA - for having such awesome events where we can give money and enjoy a show. Life doesn't get much better than their events.
4) Actor's Fund Performances - where everyone involved in production gives their time and energy to raising money. Positively awesome.
5) Sutton Foster - 'nuf said.
6) Student Rush Tickets - for allowing the opportunity for people like me to see shows. I wish more shows would do it. Being a theater freak, I am so thankful to them. Especially 42nd Street, where they give us front row center - what a way to encourage my generation to see live theater.
7) Avenue Q - for making a musical that my non-theater liking brother wanted to see. For having live, full puppet nudity.
re: re: re: re: re: re: THE COMEBACK OF TEN GREAT THINGS! Bernadette Peters - for being classy and kind, and delivering a great twist on Mama Rose for those of use who weren't alive for Ethel Merman's performanxes.
9) Mel Brooks - he brought us the Producers. End of Story.
10) The areas between 42nd Street and 52nd Street, between 6th and 9th Avenues, which will always bring joy to millions of people. (Obviously there can be great theater outside of these boundaries, but this is the general area).

What a great thread. I have to say that again. It's nice that sometimes we can all put aside any and all cattiness and focus and reflect on the reasons that we are here and that these boards exist in the first place.

Deet: Shira, I Love You!

Jamie Hat Profile Photo
Jamie Hat
#366re: re: re: re: re: re: re: THE COMEBACK OF TEN GREAT THINGS!
Posted: 5/1/04 at 2:36am

Tonight's Show...
10) Becky Ann
9) Alexander
re: re: re: re: re: re: re: THE COMEBACK OF TEN GREAT THINGS! Jeffrey
7) Marc
6) Denis
5) Mary Catherine
4) Mario
3) Neal Patrick
2) Jim
1) Michael

Jamie Hat Profile Photo
Jamie Hat
#367re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: THE COMEBACK OF TEN GREAT THINGS!
Posted: 5/1/04 at 2:41am

One more...can't stop the beat...
10. Patrick Wilson
9. Taye Diggs
8. Gavin Creel
7. re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: THE COMEBACK OF TEN GREAT THINGS!
6. Huntel Foster
5. Adam Pascal
4. Raul Esparza
3. Brian D'Arcy James
2. Hugh Jackman
1. Norbert Leo Butz

BroadwayBaby3 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby3
#368re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: THE COMEBACK OF TEN GREAT THINGS!
Posted: 5/1/04 at 7:44pm

1) Sutton Foster. She is incredibly talented, completely humble, sweet as can be, and hilarious both on and off stage. She is my inspiration and there will never be a "Millie" as good as her.

2) Wicked. This is one of the most amazing musicals I have ever seen. It is hysterical, touching, and powerful at the same time. Kristin and Idina rock. My entire family noted that the show could have ended after "Defying Gravity" and we would have felt like we had gotten our money's worth.

3) Thoroughly Modern Millie. The perfect show. Enjoyable for people of all ages. Happy! Great music. Sutton. Funny and charming.

4)Donna Murphy. She puts the "wonderful" in "Wonderful Town". She was hilarious.

5)Bernadette Peters. I saw "Gypsy" on Broadway when I was 5 years old. I've seen the movie of it 100 times. I've been in it (Dainty June), I have seen it done dozens of times in community/dinner theatres. I have never seen a better Mamma Rose than Bernadette. If you've seen her in it, you understand why.

6)Little Shop of Horrors with Hunter Foster and Kerry Butler. Very entertaining and they are very talented.

7) Aida. Powerful, funny, awesome music. Amneris is great.

8 )Christian Borle- best Jimmy. I've seen three Jimmys in "Millie" and he was definately the funniest. It was cute to see him work with his girlfriend. (Sutton)

9) It's magical.

10)It's my dream to be on Broadway. I'm moving to NYC June 23,2004 cuz that dream's comin true.

Defy Gravity!!
Updated On: 5/2/04 at 07:44 PM

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#369re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: THE COMEBACK OF TEN GREAT THINGS!
Posted: 5/1/04 at 8:15pm

Oh WOW!! This is so great.
10, the lights
9, the music
8, the chorus
7, the dancers
6, the leads
5, opening night
4, the unexpected u/s that goes on
and does sooo well!
3, the curtin calls
2, the earworms that you are singing/humming two days later
And the #1 reason....
1, the joy of LIVE theater!

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

shira467 Profile Photo
shira467
#370re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: THE COMEBACK OF TEN GREAT THINGS!
Posted: 5/2/04 at 3:34pm

BroadwayBaby3, you're gonna be on Broadway? Give us details!

Deet: Shira, I Love You!

Jamie Hat Profile Photo
Jamie Hat
#371re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: THE COMEBACK OF TEN GREAT THINGS!
Posted: 5/2/04 at 11:52pm

Okay more...
Let's hear it for:
10) Movicles!
9) Laurence O'Keefe!
8. Adam Pascal's 2nd Solo Album coming soon!
7) Understudies!
6) The Brit musicals!
5) Tom Kitt!
4) Tom Kitt playing this Thursday!
3) Brian Stokes Mitchell
2) Carnelia, Hamlisch, Jones, Schmidt, Shaiman!
1) Jason Robert Brown is writing TWO more BWAY SHOWS!

EddieVarley
#372re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: THE COMEBACK OF TEN GREAT THINGS!
Posted: 5/3/04 at 9:14am

This is soooo GREAT that the thread is up and running again, keep it coming gang!

leomaxfrank Profile Photo
leomaxfrank
#373re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: THE COMEBACK OF TEN GREAT THINGS!
Posted: 5/3/04 at 11:26am

10) The Ladies of Broadway (Murphy, Pinkins, Foster, Benanti, White, Menzel, McDonald, Ripley, Carmello, Callaway, Egan, Skinner and many more)

9) The Men of Broadway (Creel, Jackman, McElroy, Porter, James, Von Essen, Jackson, Wilson, Danieley, ASSASSINS boys, Lewis, Pascal, Dehaas, Butz, many more!)

8. Avenue Q - Sesame Street meets South Park!
7) Broadway Cares' Events!!!
6) sold out broadway houses!!
5) the excitement about the Tony Awards
4) Belting
3) Insurgence of new shows, new readings!!
2) Assassins finally receiving the venue it deserves!

1) the future voice of Broadway - Guettel/Brown/LaChiusa/Tesori/Lippa/Alan/Mills...

But I won't live alone in a house of regret.
Updated On: 5/3/04 at 11:26 AM

Videos