News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

10 GREAT THINGS TO SAY ABOUT B-WAY TODAY

10 GREAT THINGS TO SAY ABOUT B-WAY TODAY

#010 GREAT THINGS TO SAY ABOUT B-WAY TODAY
Posted: 1/13/04 at 1:15am

I'd love to hear your 10 most positive things to say about Broadway today. C'mon you guys, let's celebrate instead of tear everything and everyone down. Just to get it started, here's my list in no particular order:

1 - Hairspray - Pure joy.
2 - Big River - Simple, Beautiful, Moving and Wonderful
3 - Thoroughly Modern Millie - 1st class all the way
4 - Jack O'Brien - The man is in his prime.
5 - Musician's Strike - THEY WORKED IT OUT!!!!
6 - Cherry Jones and Swoozie Kurtz singing in Imaginary Friends!
7 - Hugh Jackman - One man carries an entire production. AMAZING!
8 - Gypsy - Bernadette makes her own Mama Rose Sing. FANTASTIC
9 - 42nd Street Studios - For keeping their pianos tuned.
10 - All the hard working performers in these musicals who have trained hard, worked hard, starved hard who truly deserve every ounce of applause they get at every curtain call.

BONUS THANKS - Every crew/tech/management person who works their ass off behind the scenes. This only goes out to the cool ones. God knows there are plenty of idiots in all positions. This is only for the GREAT ONES!

I mentioned things that affect me. What affects you?

Updated On: 1/13/04 at 01:15 AM

WhatDoINeedWithLove?
#1re: 10 NICE THINGS ABOUT B-WAY MUSICALS LATELY
Posted: 1/13/04 at 1:21am

1) Wicked
2) Idina Menzel
3) Sutton Foster
4) Hairspray
5) Ave Q
6)Cheno
7) Kerry Butler
8 ) Hunter Foster
9) Hugh Jackman
10) Matt and Nathans return Updated On: 1/13/04 at 01:21 AM

#2re: re: 10 NICE THINGS ABOUT B-WAY MUSICALS LATELY
Posted: 1/13/04 at 1:24am

cool list, thanks

Crazy4MattMorrison52 Profile Photo
Crazy4MattMorrison52
#3re: re: re: 10 NICE THINGS ABOUT B-WAY MUSICALS LATELY
Posted: 1/13/04 at 1:49am

1.hairspray
2.matthew morrison
3.marissa jaret winokur
4.little shop
5.ave q
6.wicked
7.taboo
8.hunter foster
9.harvey
10.hot chorus/leading man

"gimme a bottle of bourbon and half a chicken and i'll conquer the world!"

#4re: re: re: re: 10 NICE THINGS ABOUT B-WAY MUSICALS LATELY
Posted: 1/13/04 at 1:51am

Good, Good,.........OK you guys, it takes a few minutes to think about something nice to say but TAKE THE TIME.........KEEP IT POSITIVE, UPBEAT AND EVEN PERHAPS INSPIRATIONAL TO OTHERS. Wow, what a concept. It wasn't mine. I swear......... Updated On: 1/13/04 at 01:51 AM

jsargent
#510 NICE THINGS ABOUT B-WAY MUSICALS LATELY
Posted: 1/13/04 at 4:08am

In no particular order...

Boy George writing the most beautiful score since Ragtime and Pimpernel

Avenue Q

Sutton Foster

Raul Esparza

We're finally getting a B'way production of Assassins

P Diddy's Broadway debut... and I'm serious. I think it's going to spark an interest in live theatre among a crowd who never wanted to see a Broadway show.

Sara Gettlefinger - A relative unknown who was absolutely stunning in Nine and is sure to be one of Broadways strongest leading ladies in no time at all

Hugh Jackman, Jane Krakowski, and Antonio Banderas - Outstandingly talented Hollywood stars who *earned* their roles on Broadway. (Sorry, Melanie)

That girl who plays Ren Stevens on the Disney Channel in Even Stevens is going to be Belle!!

Jennifer Cody is friggin' adorable. And in Taboo, hot.

jsargent
#610 NICE THINGS ABOUT B-WAY MUSICALS LATELY
Posted: 1/13/04 at 4:08am

In no particular order...

Boy George writing the most beautiful score since Ragtime and Pimpernel

Avenue Q

Sutton Foster

Raul Esparza

We're finally getting a B'way production of Assassins

P Diddy's Broadway debut... and I'm serious. I think it's going to spark an interest in live theatre among a crowd who never wanted to see a Broadway show.

Sara Gettlefinger - A relative unknown who was absolutely stunning in Nine and is sure to be one of Broadways strongest leading ladies in no time at all

Hugh Jackman, Jane Krakowski, and Antonio Banderas - Outstandingly talented Hollywood stars who *earned* their roles on Broadway. (Sorry, Melanie)

That girl who plays Ren Stevens on the Disney Channel in Even Stevens is going to be Belle!!

Jennifer Cody is friggin' adorable. And in Taboo, hot.

#7re: 10 NICE THINGS ABOUT B-WAY MUSICALS LATELY
Posted: 1/13/04 at 10:23am

excellent list and comments. I have hope that MORE people can find 10 nice things to say..........C'mon you guys, I have faith that everyone of you can participate in a positive manner. You'll feel better about yourselves. Go ahead, cleanse yourself of your inner critic. Say something nice today.

sheekala
#8re: re: 10 NICE THINGS ABOUT B-WAY MUSICALS LATELY
Posted: 1/13/04 at 10:41am

1-10)Nathan Lane& Matthew Broderick, I can't say enough about how wonderful they were together the other night.

You've got to spread joy up to the maximum Bring gloom down to the minimum Have faith or pandemonium's Liable to walk upon the scene

#9re: re: re: 10 NICE THINGS ABOUT B-WAY MUSICALS LATELY
Posted: 1/13/04 at 10:56am

1 - 10? LOL..........I agree they're fantastic! How cool that you had such a great time. Updated On: 1/13/04 at 10:56 AM

mebice Profile Photo
mebice
#10re: re: re: re: 10 NICE THINGS ABOUT B-WAY MUSICALS LATELY
Posted: 1/13/04 at 11:11am

1. Boy George's score for Taboo
2. Ragtime score
3. Euan
4. Raul
5. Idna
6. Wicked
7. Rosie's money to keep taboo open re: re: re: re: 10 NICE THINGS ABOUT B-WAY MUSICALS LATELY
8. Krsten's comedic ways
9. Score from Aida
10. Adam Pascal

"Hold up your head. Never be afraid to shine. Viva la difference in my body and my mind. All out with loneliness Such a waste of time. Come in from the outside" ~ Taboo

#11re: re: re: re: re: 10 NICE THINGS ABOUT B-WAY MUSICALS LATELY
Posted: 1/13/04 at 11:21am

Another great list. It's interesting to see everyone's "taste" in musicals by these lists.........and God Bless Rosie for putting her money where her mouth is. Someone with that much conviction deserves all the success in the world. She's fearless. I admire that.

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#12re: re: re: re: re: re: 10 NICE THINGS ABOUT B-WAY MUSICALS LATELY
Posted: 1/13/04 at 11:43am

I am lovin' this thread. I promise I will post when I have more time!

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

ckeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
#13re: re: re: re: re: re: 10 NICE THINGS ABOUT B-WAY MUSICALS LATELY
Posted: 1/13/04 at 11:44am

It's a Top 7 list. I just HAVE to be different:

7) Shows like Hairspray, Millie, and 42nd Street that (should) bring joy to every heart in the room. Innocent and happy.

6) Shows like Take Me Out, I Am My Own Wife, and Golda's Balcony which make us think, and give us perspective, and hope.

5) Shows like Avenue Q, Urinetown, and The Producers that make us laugh, even in the toughest of times.

4) Shows like The Phantom of the Opera, Mamma Mia!, and Beauty and the Beast that bring new people to the houses of our grand theatres every day... enriching their lives while introducing them to the wonders of live theatre.

3) The wonderful people: Kerry Butler, Harvey Fierstein, and everyone else who takes the time to connect with their fans, and use their talents to entertain the public.

2) The tear that comes to my eye during every curtain call, one of joy... for the beauty of the event that we just shared.

1) The fact that you can sit in a dark room for a period of time and be taken anywhere, from Avenue Q to deep in your own imagination.

Hamlet's father.

#14re: re: re: re: re: re: re: 10 NICE THINGS ABOUT B-WAY MUSICALS LATELY
Posted: 1/13/04 at 11:50am

OK, 7 it is. It's a very lucky number. Maybe it will bring more NICE posts to this thread. Thanks for your message. It's great.

onceadancer2 Profile Photo
onceadancer2
#15re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: 10 NICE THINGS ABOUT B-WAY MUSICALS LATELY
Posted: 1/13/04 at 11:58am

1. It is still here in the 21st century.
2. It still strives to present entertainment of a high quality.
3. It constantly reinterprets and reinvents itself.
4. People still want to buy tickets to see shows.
5. It is still a magnet for theatrical hopefuls.
6. It does outreach to the diverse and multicultural clientele in New York.
7. It has taken on more of an educational role than it ever has.
8. It provided opportunities for entrepreneurs and students majoring in business, law, entertainment, etc.
9. It is and always will be the eternal sign of success and stature in the entertainment world (I hope Harvey Weinstein and Michael Eisner will excuse me!)
10. It is New York!

Miriam

Every movement has a meaning--but what the hell does it mean!

broadwayguy2
#17re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: 10 NICE THINGS ABOUT B-WAY MUSICALS LATELY
Posted: 1/13/04 at 12:58pm

~Adam Fleming
~Joe Machota
~John Jeffrey Matrin
~Todd Michel Smith
~David Burtka
~Ryan-Michael Shaw
~John Tartaglia
~Barrett Foa
~John Hill
~Cheyenne Jackson

(I WOULD say Gavin Creel, but he is not currently on the boards....)

okay........
1.)HAIRSPRAY -- wonderfully constructed and assembled.. pure joy.. a fantsatic score.. a powerhouse cast..
2.)Jack O'Brien -- the man cand o no wrong in my eyes
3.)Marc Shaiman and Scott wittman. need I say more?
4.)Rosie O'Donnell and Taboo -- its refreshing to see a person believe in something so strongly
5.)Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King (Disney Theatricals) -- introducing new generations to Broadway
6.)Rent -- a greats core and a show that has introduced us to many wonderful artists -- Anothy Rapp, Adam Pascal, Daphne Rubin Vega, Jesse L Martin, Sherie Rene Scott, Shayna Steele, Simone.....
7.)42nd Street Studios -- a WONDERFUL facility..
8.) Ford Centre for the Performing Arts, Palace Theatre, Winter Garden Theatre -- GORGEOUS theatres... also bridging the gap and showing us that new theatres can be just as beautiful as the classic houses
9.)Wicked -- teaming up polar opposires Kristin Chenoweth and Idina Menzel and making magic while managing to bring such enthusiasm and of course, being able to sell out the Gershwin!
10.)Broadway cares/Equity Fights AIDS -- an truly wonderful organization that does OUTSTANDING work and supported by the best group of people in teh industry -- the artists who make up Broadway and give so selflessly of themselves to help out.

sheekala
#18re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: 10 NICE THINGS ABOUT B-WAY MUSICALS LATELY
Posted: 1/13/04 at 1:07pm

Ok one more #11) All the people everywhere who's heart skips a beat when the houselights slowly dim, and either the orchestra starts up or the first words of the play are spoken.To the audience and the fans wit hall of their many passions. They have been making Broadway "nice" and keeping it alive for all of us.

You've got to spread joy up to the maximum Bring gloom down to the minimum Have faith or pandemonium's Liable to walk upon the scene

sheekala
#20re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: 10 NICE THINGS ABOUT B-WAY MUSICALS LATELY
Posted: 1/13/04 at 1:50pm

We Can't Stop the Beat!re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: 10 NICE THINGS ABOUT B-WAY MUSICALS LATELY

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#21re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: 10 NICE THINGS ABOUT B-WAY MUSICALS LATELY
Posted: 1/13/04 at 2:58pm

To be fair, I have 12, possibly 13. All the musicals that had (and will have) the guts to open on Broadway this season:

1. Assassins
2. Avenue Q
3. Big River
4. Bombay Dreams
5. The Boy From Oz
6. Fiddler on the Roof
7. Laughing Room Only
8. Little Shop of Horrors
9. Never Gonna Dance
10. Taboo
11. Wicked
12. Wonderful Town

13. Caroline, or Change (if it happens)

I hope I didn't leave any shows out.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Broadwaygirl4life
#22re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: 10 NICE THINGS
Posted: 1/13/04 at 3:14pm

1. Michael Cavanaugh
2. Movin' Out
3. John Selya
4. Aida
5. Will Chase
6. Adam Pascal
7. Hairspray
8. The Producers
9. Never Gonna Dance
10. Its broadway, all the lights and best part is its in NYC! Whoa!

"[My son]'s really into my music, but one day we were listening to Billy [Joel] in the car and he said, 'Daddy, I think Billy's songs are a little better than yours." (Michael Cavanaugh)

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#23re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: 10 NICE THINGS
Posted: 1/13/04 at 4:08pm

not really in any particular order....

1. That feeling, where as soon as I get to the theater district I can't stop smiling. No matter what.
2. The chills I get from live theater.
3. Adam Pascal. That man is a godsend.
4. the two of my favorite shows that are still currently running: Aida and Rent.
5. Discount codes, student rush, standing room and TKTS
6. the fact that Broadway actors are so freakin' nice and so easy to meet.
7. Thoroughly Modern Millie. It's just so happy.
8. BC/EFA. what a great cause.
9. Idina Menzel. her voice gives me chills.
10. Patrick Wilson. Though he's not currently on Broadway, the Great White Way exposed me to the wonder that is Patrick.

great thread!

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 1/13/04 at 04:08 PM

Elphie Profile Photo
Elphie
#24re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: 10 NICE THINGS
Posted: 1/13/04 at 4:22pm

Top Ten Things of Broadway:

1.Idinal Menzel in green skin!
2.Sutton Foster along with the entirie company of Thoroughly Modern Millie
3.Having to pay to pee down at Urinetown
4.A Monsterous green plant snacking on Hunter Foster and Kerry Butler 8 times a week
5.Big River!!
6.Hugh Jackman as Peter Allen
7.Puppets that sing and talk about sex and basically how much it sucks to be them down on Avenue Q
8. Rosie O'Donell doing something with her money-Go Taboo!
9.Daphne Rubin Vega acting in the tropics
10.Bernadette Peters keeping her BWAY diva name as Mama Rose

No particular order haha.

"They hear drums. We hear music."
Updated On: 1/13/04 at 04:22 PM

Videos